Galaxy Nexus I9250 is among the lucky few Android devices to receive Android 4.4 KitKat through third-party custom ROMs, while Google is yet to release the latest Android platform upgrade officially for its Nexus line of devices. Though Nexus 5 has been the first Android device to receive the AOSP port for Android 4.4, several older Nexus devices (Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10) also received the latest Android upgrade through AOSP and/or CyanogenMod 11 ROMs.
Nexus I9250 can now be updated to Android 4.4 via SlimKat Alpha KitKat ROM, thanks to the industrious efforts of SlimROMs team and XDA Developers in testing and fixing common bugs. The new SlimKat Alpha ROM also features several feature enhancements and performance optimisations over its previous build, a few of which are listed below:
Android 4.4 SlimKat Alpha KitKat ROM Bug Fixes and Feature Enhancements
- Added Dalvik optimisations for faster and stable firmware installations
- Reworked and adapted status bar clock and date customisation to Android 4.4
- Added a few XDA customised camera features (smart captchure, jpg quality, color filter, gps indicator)
- Reworked the whole camera interface to the new Google style. Added new PIE style + some fixes to deliver more consistent user experience.
- Added a bunch of MMS and SMS fixes
- Activated lockscreen transparency on nav and statusbar with supported devices
- some stability fixes
- fixed some Google 4.4 code derp
Key Features of Android 4.4 SlimKat Alpha KitKat ROM
- The Real Dark Slim
- Notification drawer Shortcuts
- Full hardware key rebinding!
- Keyboard rotation
Interested users can follow our step-by-step guide given below to install the latest Android 4.4 custom update via SlimKat Alpha KitKat ROM. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Key Points to Note
- The SlimKat Alpha KitKat ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the Galaxy Nexus I9250 model only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy Nexus I9250 USB drivers).
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (NOTE:Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings.) Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working on it.
How to Update Galaxy Nexus I9250 to Android 4.4 with SlimKat Alpha KitKat ROM
Step 2 - Connect and mount Galaxy Nexus USB mass storage on computer via USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded Android 4.4 SlimKat Alpha ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Then Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Now boot the phone into Bootloader Mode. To do so, switch on the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons until the Samsung Logo appears.
Step 6 - Follow the onscreen navigation instructions and then select BOOTLOADER option using Volume Up or Volume Down to enter RECOVERY mode.
Step 7 - After entering ClockworkMod Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by choosing Wipe Data/Factory Reset. NOTE: Use Volume Up and Volume Down buttons to scroll through the options and Power button to select the desired option in Recovery Mode.
Step 8 - After the data wipe process completes, perform Wipe Cache Partition.
Step 9 - Finally, do a wipe on Dalvik Cache as well. This will prevent boot loops or other ROM related errors. In CWM recovery, go to 'advanced' option and choose Wipe Dalvik Cache.
Step 10 - Now return to the main recovery screen and tap install zip from sdcard.
Step 11 - Then select choose zip from sdcard. Use volume keys to navigate to the Android 4.4 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your SD card and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat the steps 10 and 11 for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 12 - Once Google Apps is also installed, select "+++++Go Back+++++" and reboot the phone by tapping reboot system now from the recovery menu. Your Galaxy Nexus I9250 will restart and it may take about 5 minutes for first boot. So, do not interrupt the process.
Your Galaxy Nexus I9250 is now running on Android 4.4 via SlimKat Alpha KitKat ROM installed on your phone. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.