Samsung has rolled out its latest Jelly Bean Over-The-Air (OTA) update for Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 users in Germany via Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 official firmware. Though the firmware is not yet available for download via Samsung KIES, it can be downloaded and installed manually using this guide.
Those who did not receive the OTA update notification and those residing outside Germany in countries like the UK can follow our step-by-step guide to install this firmware manually via ODIN.
Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 Jelly Bean Firmware Details
Date: June, 2013
Key Points to Note
- XXBMF1 official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 model only. It will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- Back up important data and settings on the tablet to avoid data loss while performing any data wipe tasks during or after firmware installation.
- Ensure the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) as well as its bootloader unlocked.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the tablet on computer (download Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the device by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if tablet is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if the device is running Android 4.2, then do the following:
- Go to Settings > About Tablet
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure that the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- ODIN flash tool is designed to work in Windows OS only. Linux or MAC OS users should use CrossOver utility to run ODIN on their computer.
- Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UKwill not be held liable if device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 to Official Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 Jelly Bean OTA Firmware
Step 1: Extract the firmware zip file to the desktop to get a .tar.md5 file and some other files (optional).
Step 2: Extract Odin zip file to obtain Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
Step 3: Power off the tablet and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Now boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power button together until a construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Then hit Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
Step 4: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you obtained in Step 2 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the firmware installation process smoothly.
Step 5: Connect your tablet to computer via USB cable. When the device connects successfully, the message saying "Added!" appears in ODIN and the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. If the message fails to appear, try reinstalling the tablet's USB drivers or changing the port on the computer.
Step 6: Choose the following files from the extracted N5100XXBMF1 folder that you obtained in Step 1 by using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the .tar.md5 file
- Tap the Phone checkbox, and select the file named 'modem' (ignore if such file is not found)
- Choose the CSC checkbox, and click the file named 'CSC' (ignore if there is no such file)
- Click the PIT checkbox, and choose the '.pit' file (ignore if the file is missing)
Step 7: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But the Re-Partition checkbox must be selected only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step in ODIN.
Step 8: To prevent ROM related errors, verify Step 6 and Step 7 are done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin flashing the firmware.
Step 9: Once the firmware installation is complete, the tablet will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now it is safe to unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
The Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 is now running on the latest Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 Jelly Bean OTA firmware. Go to Settings > About Tablet to verify the firmware installed.
If the tablet is stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo after Step 9, then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset as well as Wipe Cache Partition before choosing reboot system now option. Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Please note that performing data wipe task will only erase your tablet's internal memory and not the data on SD card.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]