Galaxy Note 8.0 N5110 16GB (Wi-Fi only model) is now available for purchase at the Samsung Experience Store in the Westfields Stratford City shopping centre in East London for a price tag of £339. The company has confirmed in a statement that the device would be gradually rolled out to other European countries (estimated price €400) and the rest of the world.
Those who have already laid their hands on Samsung's latest 8in flagship tablet can now download and install the first official Jelly Bean update for the device, using this guide. The XXBMCA firmware update is also available for installation via Samsung KIES. The installation of this firmware makes use of ODIN flash tool that is available with this guide.
Key Points to Note
- XXBMCA official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy Note 8.0 N5110 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone by using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Verify correct USB drivers are installed for the phone (download Galaxy Note 8.0 USB drivers)
- Enable USB debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options or Settings > Applications > Development.
- Ensure that the phone has at least 80 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during the firmware installation.
- Make sure that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) before proceeding with the firmware installation.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Note 8.0 N5110 via XXBMCA Firmware
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 N5110XXBMCA official firmware for Galaxy Note 8.0 on the computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is required to install the official firmware on the phone.
Step 3 - Turn off the tablet and boot it into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Up button and then simultaneously tap the Power button until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit the Power button again to progress into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect the tablet to it while the tablet is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the tablet connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will indicate yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This process may be time-consuming. So, leave it alone.
Step 6 - Choose the files that need to be flashed or installed on the tablet, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the 'PDA' checkbox and choose the file named '.tar' or '.md5'.
- Select the 'Phone' checkbox and choose the file with 'MODEM' in its name. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
- Choose the 'CSC' checkbox and click the file with 'CSC' in its name. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Click the 'PIT' checkbox and choose the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. In case of Re-Partition option, enable it ONLY if a .PIT file is chosen in the previous step.
Step 8 - Hit Start button in ODIN and the firmware installation process will begin. It would take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the firmware installation is complete, your tablet will reboot automatically. Finally, when the home screen boots-up just unplug the tablet from computer.
Your Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 N5110 is now successfully updated to official Android 4.1.2 XXBMCA Jelly Bean firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]