Samsung has just started rolling out new Over-The-Air (OTA) update for the Galaxy Note 8.0 (LTE) GT-N5120 users in the UK via Android 4.2.2 XXCMG7 Jelly Bean firmware. Those who have already updated their Galaxy Note to the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean platform can now root the same, thanks to the release of CF-Auto-Root tool by XDA recognised developer, Chainfire.
CF-Auto-Root tool is designed to work on any Jelly Bean firmware running on Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE. It completely supports Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and will be compatible with any future firmware.
Head over to XDA Developers source page to learn more about the rooting tool and its features. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any device damage during root installation and users must proceed at their own risk.
- The CF-Auto-Root tool and these instructions are meant for the Galaxy Note 8.0 (LTE) GT-N5120 model only. Do not attempt installing this root package on another variant or device, as it may inadvertently hard-brick or damage the device. Verify the device model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- Back up data and settings via a recommended custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP.
- Verify appropriate USB drivers are installed for the device on computer (download Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE USB drivers).
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on tablet by navigating to Settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure tablet has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing ROM.
- Ensure both device and its bootloader is unlocked.
How to Root Galaxy Note 8.0 (LTE) GT-N5120 on Any Official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware
- Extract the downloaded zip files via winrar or 7zip or any other extracting tool.
- Power off the tablet and boot it into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon with a warning triangle appears on screen. Then hit Volume Up button to progress into Download Mode.
- Launch Odin on computer as an Administrator, as admin privileges are required to complete the installation process smoothly.
- Connect the tablet to computer via USB cable when the device is still in Download Mode. Wait until Odin recognizes the device and the ID: COM box turns blue with the COM port number. Besides, when the device connects successfully to computer, a message reading "Added!" appears on screen. NOTE: If the Added message fails to appear, then try re-installing the tablet's USB drivers or changing the USB port on computer.
- In Odin, click PDA button and select CF-Auto-Root-konalte-konaltexx-gtn5120.tar.md5 file.
- Verify that Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes are chosen in Odin.Also, ensure the Re-Partition option is unselected.
Double-check and clickStart in Odin. The installation process will now begin.
- After the installation process is done, your tablet will reboot and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now, it is safe to unplug the USB cable to disconnect your device from computer.
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (LTE) N5120 running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware is now rooted successfully. You can now install any app that requires root permission. Verify the root status of the device by downloading Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
[Source: Honai of Android]