Galaxy S users can now experience the latest iteration of Jelly Bean software through the new custom build by Team Avatar, AvatarROM 2.15b. The ROM is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and also merges the fifth Release Candidate (RC5) version of CyanogenMod 10.1.0. Additionally, it brings numerous customised features and bug fixes.
AvatarROM 2.15b features
CyanogenMod RC5 merges
Fixes in Theme choose
Grid size issue fixed across all devices and resolutions
Transparency setting changed (1 to 10 transparency, also moved from general to Drawer)
Fixed the issue with transparent fade animation while going from Apps to Widgets
Fixed some crashes
New UI for editing rules
Shows a dialogue if rule is broken. If the rule is fine, user can directly enable/disable the rule by tapping on it
Weebo icon is changed
Head over to the development thread to learn more about the AvatarROM 2.15b.
Galaxy S users, who are looking to update their devices to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean using AvatarROM 2.15b, may follow our step-by-step guide. The device may encounter minor bug issues with the installation, since the Jelly Bean ROM is still in development.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Before installing the ROM, users are advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option then check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe all data of the phone, create a back-up for the same. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) Verify that Galaxy S should have above 80 per cent of battery charge.
5) The phone should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed.
6) This AvatarROM 2.15b works only on Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000. Flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
7) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on Booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache five more times and then reboot the device.
8) Users are advised to give the ROM about five to 10 minutes after the device boots for the first time to settle everything for a better user experience.
Steps to install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 with AvatarROM 2.15b
Step-1: Download AvatarROM 2.15b Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom firmware for Samsung Galaxy S to the computer
Step-2: Download Google Apps package
Step-3: Connect the Galaxy S to the computer using USB cable. Then copy both the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone. But do not extract any file
Step-4: Disconnect the phone from the computer and then turn the device off. Wait for about five to six seconds for the vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Now boot the phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the screen of the phone flashes then release all three buttons. The phone will enter into recovery mode soon
Note: In recovery mode, use the Volume buttons to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option.
Step-6: Perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later in case the new ROM does not work or users wish to go back to the previous firmware. To perform Nandroid backup select Backup and Restore then on the next screen select Backup again. When the backup is completed, return to the main recovery menu
Step-7: Now perform data wiping task to avoid clash between the new ROM and the previous ROM. Select wipe data/ factory reset then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for few minutes until the data wiping process is completed then go back to the CWM recovery menu. Select wipe cache partition then select Wipe Dalvik Cache under the advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping. Once the action is completed, return to the recovery menu
Step-8: Select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Now locate the AvatarROM 2.15b zip which was earlier copied to the SD card of the phone. Press the Power button to select it and confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM installation should begin now
Step-9: After the ROM is installed, repeat the same procedure (step-8) to install Google Apps package
Step-10: When the flashing process is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. The device will now boot up into the customised AvatarROM 2.15b. The first boot will take about few minutes
As the Galaxy S boots up successfully, it should be updated with AvatarROM 2.15b featuring Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Head over to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software version running on the device.
Note: To go back to the previous ROM, boot the phone into recovery, select Backup and Restore then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.