Samsung has rolled out Android 4.1.2 XWLSW Jelly Bean software update for the international version of Galaxy S2 with model number GT-I9100. The update is available via Over-The-Air (OTA) as well as through Samsung KIES server.
The new XWLSW build is originally for the Galaxy S2 users from Europe. It reportedly addresses the bug issues spotted in the previous build and also brings some feature enhancements. It is completely an unbranded version of firmware and can be installed on any GT-I9100 units except those which are from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Built date: May, 2013
Galaxy S2 users who failed to install Android 4.1.2 XWLSW Jelly Bean using both official methods, may follow our step-by-step guide to install the same manually using Odin flashing tool.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their handsets meet following requirements before installing the firmware.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S2 to connect the Android device with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe all data of the phone, create a back-up. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy S2 should have above 80 per cent of battery charge.
5) The phone should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The device will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Additionally, it will lose custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP which will be replaced by stock recovery.
7) The Galaxy device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official build.
8) Android 4.1.2 XWLSW Jelly Bean build is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100. Flashing this on incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About Phone>> Model number.
Steps to install Android 4.1.2 XWLSW Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100
Step-1: Download Android 4.1.2 XWLSW Jelly Bean official update for Samsung Galaxy S2 to the computer
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip file to get a file with .tar.md5 extension with few other files
Step-3: Download Odin v3.07 which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware on the phone. Extract the Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe file and some other files
Step-4: Switch off the Galaxy S2 and wait for five to six seconds for vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Home buttons together while pressing the Power button. A warning screen will appear, now press the Volume Up button to continue to enter into Download Mode
Step-6: Now run Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator
Step-7: Connect the Galaxy S2 to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn yellow with the COM port number. Also, the successful connection will be indicated by a message saying Added under Odin's message box
Note: If the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. In case Odin still fails to recognise the device then re-install USB driver.
Step-8: Select these files extracted from I9100XWLSW folder to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file
b) Click the Phone button and select file with Modem in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT file and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (b, c and d) if such files are not found.
Step-9: In Odin, ensure the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected. But uncheck the Re-Partition option, select it only when a .pit file is being used
Step-10: Now click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take few minutes to complete
Step-11: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. And soon a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme left box at the very top of Odin indicating successful installation. Now safely unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
Android 4.1.2 XWLSW Jelly Bean official build should be now installed and running on the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100. Head over to Settings>> About Phone to verify the new software version of the device.
How to fix bootloop issue
If the Galaxy S2 gets stuck at booting animation (after step-11) then boot the phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. Now perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe data/factory reset then select Wipe Cache Partition. When the wiping process is done, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power button to select the desired option. It should be noted that performing data wiping task will erase the internal memory data of the phone.
[Source: Honai of Android]