Team Avatar has released the new custom build of AvatarROM for the second generation Galaxy S smartphone bearing model number GT-I9100. The AvatarROM 2.15b upgrades the Galaxy S2 from Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean to Android 4.2.2.
The key feature of the AvatarROM 2.15b is it integrates fifth Release candidate (RC5) build of CyanogenMod 10.1.10. Additionally, it carries various customised features and tweaks and fixes the bug issues spotted in previous release.
AvatarROM 2.15b features
CyanogenMod RC5 merges
Fixes in Theme choose
Grid size issue fixed across all devices and resolutions
Transparency setting changed (1 to 10 transparency, also moved from general to Drawer)
Fixed the issue with transparent fade animation while going from Apps to Widgets
Fixed some crashes
New UI for editing rules
Shows a dialogue if rule is broken. If the rule is fine, user can directly enable/disable the rule by tapping on it
Weebo icon is changed
Head over to the source page to learn more about the AvatarROM 2.15b.
Galaxy S2 users, who are looking to upgrade their handsets with AvatarROM 2.15b featuring Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean may follow our step-by-step guide. It should be noted that the device may get encountered with minor bug issues with the installation of the custom build, since it is still going through development phases.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users also advised to ensure that their handsets meet following requirements before installing the ROM.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S2 to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe all data of the phone, create a back-up. If the handset is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy S2 should have above 80 per cent of battery charge.
5) The phone should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery already installed. Click here for guide to root Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and install CWM recovery.
6) The AvatarROM 2.15b is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100. Applying this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
7) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on Booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache five more times and then reboot the device.
8) Users are advised to give five to 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up first time to settle everything for a better using experience.
Steps to install Android 4.2.2 on Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 with AvatarROM 2.15b
Step-1: Download AvatarROM 2.15b Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom firmware for Samsung Galaxy S2 to the computer
File name: avatar-2.15b-1134-20130614-i9100.zip
Step-2: Download Google Apps package
Step-3: Connect the Galaxy S2 to the computer using USB cable. Then copy both the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone. But do not extract any file
Step-4: Disconnect the phone from the computer and then turn it off. Wait for about five to six seconds for the vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Boot the Galaxy S2 into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on the screen then release all three buttons. The device will enter into recovery mode soon
Note: In recovery mode, use the Volume buttons to navigate between options and Power button to select the desired option.
Step-6: In recovery mode, perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later in case the new ROM does not work or users wish to go back to the previous firmware. To perform Nandroid backup select Backup and Restore then on the next screen select Backup again. When backup process is done, go back to the main recovery menu
Step-7: Then perform data wiping task to avoid clash between the new ROM and the previous ROM. Select wipe data/ factory reset then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for few minutes until the data wiping process is completed then go back to the CWM recovery menu. Select wipe cache partition then select Wipe Dalvik Cache under the advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping. Once the action is completed, return to the recovery menu
Step-8: Select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Now locate the AvatarROM 2.15b ROM zip which was earlier copied to the SD card of the phone. Press the Power button to select it and then confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM installation should begin now
Step-9: After the ROM is installed, follow the similar procedure (step-8) to install Google Apps package
Step-10: Whenthe installation process is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. The device will reboot now and boot up into the customised AvatarROM 2.15b custom firmware. The first boot will take about five minutes
The Samsung Galaxy S2 should be updated with AvatarROM 2.15b based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Head over to Settings>> About Phone to verify the new software version running on the handset.
Note: To go back to the previous ROM, boot the phone into recovery, select Backup and Restore then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.
[Source: Droid Noobs]