SlimBean Build 5.7 custom ROM has been rolled out for several Android devices including the Galaxy S2 GT-I9100, Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) and Galaxy S I9000, thanks to the industrious SlimROMs team. The popular custom ROM brings a fast, stable and bloatware-free Jelly Bean experience in a lightweight package. In addition, the latest iteration of SlimBean ROM (Build 5.7) offers a host of bug-fixes and feature enhancements over its previous build for a unique Android-user experience.
As the ROM is based on the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean iteration, it brings a multitude of interesting features such as multi-user support, gesture typing, new quick settings option, lock-screen widget, new camera app, photo sphere, improved Google Now, new daydream feature and miracast display.
Here is the complete list of bug-fixes and feature enhancements added into the latest SlimBean ROM:
- Fixed GlowPad not centered on tablets
- Enhance Easy Selector in Mms
- Option to always force 'Enter' key in keyboard
- Added DeskClock support for xxhdpi devices
- Add 1392×1392 res in Camera [SGS3]
- Fixed SlimSizer deletion freezing UI
- Fixed TRDS Multi-select in multiple apps
- Fixed camera settings duplication in landscape
- Fixed Camera sound toggle [regression]
- Fixed Media control logic [regression]
- Fixed no back/up icon in APN settings
- Added support for DCHSPAP
- Fixed some more mem-leaks and null pointers
- Added some optimizations to core framework
IBTimes UK brings its readers a step-by-step guide to install the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update on Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 via SlimBean Build 5.7 ROM.
Head over to the developer source page to read more about feature enhancements and bug-fixes added into this ROM.
Key Points to Note
- The SlimBean Build 5.7 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings via a recommended custom recovery tool like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer [download Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 USB drivers]
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device runs Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if device runs Android 2.3 or earlier). If device runs Android 4.2, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll to bottom of screen and select Build Number
- Tap phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options
- Make sure phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing ROM
- Ensure device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM Recovery
- If device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working
- If "Status 7" error pops-up on screen, it means you could be flashing the wrong device or a related kernel might be missing (for instance, a Jelly Bean kernel should be installed before flashing any Jelly Bean ROM)
- Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Based SlimBean Build 5.7 ROM on Galaxy S2 GT-I9100
1. Connect the phone to computer with original USB cable
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card
3. Switch off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer
4. Press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on screen. Then release all three buttons for half a second and hold them again to boot the device into CWM recovery. Note: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of the current ROM so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore, and then click Backup on the next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Perform a full data wipe task as follows: choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Then return to CWM recovery main menu and click Wipe Cache Partition and then wait until process is complete. Finally, choose Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option.
7. Choose Install zip from SD card and then click Choose zip from SD card. Now, browse to the Slim Bean Build 5.7 ROM ZIP file that you copied earlier to your phone in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by choosing Yes on the next screen and the installation will begin.
8. Once the ROM is installed, repeat the step 7. But, choose the Slim Bean Gapps zip file instead of ROM zip to install Google apps.
9. Once Google Apps is also installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit reboot system now to reboot the phone into the newly installed Slim Bean Build 5.7 ROM. The first boot may take some time. So, please be patient.
10. Returning to Previous ROM: To restore your previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your original ROM by selecting it from the list.
Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 Slim Bean Build 5.7 ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Droid Noobs]