We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
The SlimBean team has released the beta version of ROMs featuring Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) for a number of compatible devices including the international version of Samsung Galaxy S2 with model number I9100. The ROM brings a number of features, including a list of MMS and Contacts upgrades. Check out the source page for a full list of features and known and device-specific issues and problems.
Galaxy S2 users who wish to upgrade their devices with SlimBean Andriod 4.2.1 custom ROM, may follow the tutorial below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device during this procedure. We warn readers this guide is only meant to aid installation on the international version of the Samsung Galaxy S2 (I9100).
- Ensure download of appropriate USB drivers on the computer and enable USB debugging mode
- Ensure back-up of all important data
- Ensure phone is factory unlocked
- Ensure phone is rooted and ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery is installed
- Ensure battery has at least 80 percent charge
To Install SlimBean Beta 1 Android 4.2.1 ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100
- Download SlimBean Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM to computer
- Download Google apps package
- Connect phone to computer using USB cable, copy downloaded files to SD card and then disconnect device and switch it off
- Re-start phone in CWM Recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up and Home buttons till screen turns on and then releasing buttons
- In Recovery mode, perform Nandroid backup of existing ROM (to do so, select Backup and Restore > Backup and return to main Recovery menu after action is completed)
- In Recovery, perform a data wipe by selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes and return to main Recovery menu after action is completed
- Navigate to Install Zip from SD Card, press Power and then select Choose Zip from SD Card. Now locate ROM file, select and confirm installation
- After installation, repeat selection procedure to install Google apps package
- After installation, return to main Recovery menu and select Reboot System Now (first reboot may take some time)
- Note: To return to previous ROM, boot into Recovery, select Backup and Restore > Restore and select ROM from list
The SlimBean beta 1 ROM, based on Android 4.2.1, has now been installed on the Samsung Galaxy S2 (I9100). Browse to Settings > About Phone to verify the software on device.