Galaxy S2 I9100 users can now enjoy the latest Jelly Bean features with due release of Android 4.2.1 based AOKP Build 3 ROM. The custom ROM reportedly brings a very fast and stable Jelly Bean firmware with a plethora of highly-customisable features and options onboard.
The Galaxy S2 device recently received the WanamLite ROM based on official XWLSD Android 4.1.2 stock ROM from Samsung. Nevertheless, the smartphone users are now spoilt for choice, as more and more custom ROM Jelly Bean updates are being released for the device in quick succession.
Key features of Android 4.2.1 AOKP Build 3 ROM
- UI mode selector for Phone, Phablet and Tablet
- Transparency control for all the things
- Dual panel at any DPI
- Car Home is back
- Allow timeout / instant lock for Slide
- Quick unlock (PIN/password can unlock without pressing enter)
- Hiding NavBar - if you enable this, NavBar won't be visible all the time, you can slide up from the bottom of your screen and it comes back
- Recents - GB style
- Custom icon tint
- Menu UI overflow
- LastApp Toggle
Key Points to Note
- Android 4.2.1 AOKP Build 3 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the international variant Galaxy S2 I9100 model only and it will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on your computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 USB drivers.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone by using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP. Avoid using Samsung KIES or ROM manager, as they lack flexible options and may damage or brick your device permanently.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the phone is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the device is running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure that your phone has at least 85 percent battery charge before proceeding with the firmware installation steps.
- Verify that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM recovery pre-installed on it.
- Do a Dalvik Cache Wipe before continuing from recovery mode.
- Samsung KIES will not recognise your phone after installing the AOKP Build 3 Jelly Bean firmware, as it is a custom release.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims for device damage or issues arising out of installing the firmware. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.1 AOKP Build 3 Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with the original USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded AOKP Build 3 ROM ZIP and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from the computer.
Step 5 - Boot into Recovery Mode. To do so, turn on the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up, Menu and Power buttons together.
Step 6 - In CWM recovery, perform a full data wipe first. Then navigate to Flash zip from SD card option and tap Power button to select it.
Step 7 - Hit Power button again and click Choose zip from SD card.
Step 8 - Use volume keys to navigate to the AOKP ROM ZIP file that you copied earlier to your phone and select it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation procedure will begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step again to install Google Apps.
Step 9 - Once the AOKP ROM installation is complete, hit Go Back and then tap Reboot System Now in the recovery menu. The phone will reboot and the first boot might take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
Android 4.2.1 AOKP Build 3 Jelly Bean ROM is now installed and running on your Galaxy S2 I9100. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware installation.
[Source: Team Android]