We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Galaxy S2 I9100 has received a flurry of Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom firmware in recent times and the unprecedented developer attention garnered by the smartphone does not end there. Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) developers recently unleashed yet another iteration of its popular custom firmware with Android 4.2.2 Build 4 Jelly Bean ROM.
The latest AOKP ROM is reportedly fast, very stable and brings the pure (stock) Android experience to users as it is based on the original Android Open Source Project (AOSP) release of Android 4.2.2.
Key Points to Note
- AOKP Build 4 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the international variant Galaxy S2 I9100 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for your phone on the computer (download Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 USB drivers)
- Back up important data and settings on the phone. It is recommended to use one of the custom recovery tools such as CWM or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone set up.
- Ensure that the device has at least 85 percent battery charge.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or going to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise, if the device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number.
- Now, tap the Build Number for seven times until the Developer Options is unlocked or revealed under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Verify that the device is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed on it.
- Perform a Dalvik Cache Wipe before continuing from the recovery mode.
- Samsung KIES will not recognise your device after installing the AOKP Build 4 ROM, as it is a custom firmware release.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible if the device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 AOKP Build 4 Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy S2 USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 -Copy the downloaded AOKP Build 4 ROM ZIP and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Boot the phone into Recovery Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Up, Menu and Power buttons together until the device boots into CWM recovery.
Step 6 - In CWM recovery, perform a full data wipe first. Then navigate to Flash zip from SD card option and hit Power button to select it.
Step 7 - Tap the Power button again and click Choose zip from SD card.
Step 8 - Use volume keys to navigate to the AOKP Build 4 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping Power button. Confirm the AOKP ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 9 - Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, hit Go Back and tap Reboot System Now in the recovery menu. The phone will reboot and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
Galaxy S2 I9100 is now running the newly installed Android 4.2.2 AOKP Build 4 Jelly Bean ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]