Galaxy S2 I9100 had earlier received the Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) update via SlimBean Build 2 ROM. Now, the handset gets a follow-up release with SlimBean Build 3 ROM that brings feature enhancements and bug-fixes over the previous iteration. In other words, the latest SlimBean update offers a fast and stable, custom Android experience in a lightweight package.
Key Points to Note
- The SlimBean Build 3 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variant of Galaxy S2 (I9200) only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone
- Back up data and settings via a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP; it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer [download Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 USB drivers]
- Double check and ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device runs Android 4.0 or later) or Settings >Applications> Development (if device runs Android 2.3 or earlier). If device runs Android 4.2, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll to bottom of screen and select Build Number
- Tap phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options
- Make sure phone has at least 80 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing ROM
- Ensure device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM Recovery
- If device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working
- Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purposes only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Based SlimBean Build 3 ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100
- Connect the phone to computer with original USB cable
- Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card
- Switch off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer
- Press and hold Volume Up, Power and Homebuttons together until the Samsung logo appears on screen. Then release all three buttons for half a second and hold them again to boot the device into CWM recovery. Note: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power keyto select an option in recovery.
- Take a Nandroid backup of the current ROM so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore, and then click Backup on the next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
- Now, perform a full data wipe task as follows: choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Then return to CWM recovery main menu and clickwipe cache partitionand wait until process is complete. Finally, choose Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option.
- Choose Install zip from SD card and then click Choose zip from SD card. Now, browse to the Slim Bean Build 3 ROM ZIP file that you copied earlier to your phone in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by choosing Yes on the next screen and the installation will begin.
- After the ROM is installed, repeat the step 7. But, choose the Slim Bean Gapps zip file instead of ROM zip to install Google apps.
- Once Google Apps is installed, return to the main recovery menu and hitreboot system nowto reboot the phone into the newly installed Slim Bean Build 3 ROM. The first boot may take some time. So, please be patient.
- Returning to Previous ROM: To restore your previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your original ROM by selecting it from the list.
Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based Slim Bean Build 3 ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Android Jinn]