Galaxy S2 I9100 users can now enjoy the latest Jelly Bean features based on popular custom ROMs (Android Open Kang Project (AOKP), Paranoid Android and CyanogenMod (CM)), with due credit to the industrious XDA Developers for releasing the Revolt JB ROM. The ROM reportedly offers the smoothness, stability and performance found in AOKP and CM.
Android 4.2.2 Revolt JB ROM Features
Some of the key features introduced into this ROM are as follows:
- Hybrid engine with Paranoid Android preferences
- ROM control features from AOKP
- Kernel tweak for enhanced display
- GooManager with Push Notifications (Update Centre)
- CyanogenMod profiles
- Power Widget
- Notification shortcuts
- Expanded Desktop (Hide StatusBar & Navigation Bar)
- Pie UI (Paranoid Android)
- Font Size Controlling
- DorimanX Kernel
- TouchWizUX Launcher and more
Head over to the developer source page (given below) to read more about the features and bug-fixes added into this ROM.
Key Points to Note
- Android 4.2.2 Revolt JB ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy S2 I9100 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy S4 on your computer (download Galaxy S2 I9100 USB drivers)
- Back up important data and settingson the phone. It is recommended to use one of the custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP for data backup, as it creates a backup with complete image of your current phone setup.Avoid using Samsung KIES or ROM manager, as they lack flexible options for data backup and may cause issues with the newly installed firmware.
- Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the phone is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the device is running Android 2.3 or earlier). If your device is running Android 4.2 or later, do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number
- Tap Build Number about seven times until the hidden Developer Options is unlocked or revealed under Settings. Then enable USB Debugging mode by selecting the checkbox.
- Ensure that the device has at least 85 percent battery charge.
- Make sure that the phone is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed on it.
- Double check to confirm that Wipe Cache partition and Dalvik Cache Wipe is done before continuing from the Recovery Mode
- Samsung KIES will not recognise your phone after installing the firmware, as it is a custom release.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Based Revolt JB ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the phone boots into CWM Recovery. Now, take a Nandroid Backup of your phone's existing ROM, so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to boot, or you want to return to the previous ROM. To create a backup, click Backup and Restore and then hit Backup again on next screen.
Step 6 - Perform a full data wipe in recovery. To do so, perform Wipe Data/Factory Reset and wait until the process completes. Then perform Wipe Cache Partition followed by Wipe Dalvik Cache from advance option in recovery. Then navigate to Flash zip from SD card option and hit Power button to select it.
Step 7 - Tap the Power button again and click Choose zip from SD card.
Step 8 - Use Volume keys to navigate to Android 4.2.2 Revolt JB ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone and select it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation procedure will begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step (Step 8) for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 9 - Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, hit Go Back and choose Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu. The phone will reboot automatically and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
NOTE: If the device is stuck at boot animation or facing boot loop issues, then perform Wipe Cache and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
Your Galaxy S2 I9100 is now running on the latest Android 4.2.2 Revolt JB custom ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
[Source: XDA Developers]