Within a short period, Samsung has rolled out yet another Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) Over-The-Air (OTA) firmware called XXMS1 for Galaxy S2 I9100. The previous official Jelly Bean firmware for Europe, Android 4.1.2 XWLSD, was released just a couple of weeks ago.
The latest XXMS1 Jelly Bean official firmware uses ODIN flash tool for installation and reportedly works on any factory unlocked Galaxy S2 I9100 (except for China, Hong Kong and Taiwan). The firmware is currently supported across select European countries including the UK.
Android 4.1.2 XXMS1 Jelly Bean Official Firmware Details:
Date: 2013 January
Regions Supported: Europe
Key Features of Android 4.1.2 XXMS1 Official Firmware
- Buttery Smooth Performance & Great Stability (Thanks to Project Butter)
- Full User Interface Revamp (Same UI as of the Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II)
- TouchWiz Nature UX
- Samsung's S Cloud services
- New Lockscreen With Many Customization Options
- New Features like Direct Call, Smart Stay and Pop-up Play
- New Widgets (From Galaxy S III)
- Free 50GB Dropbox Storage
- 2 Home screen modes
- New Notification bar With More Notification Toggles
- Google Now
Key Points to Note
- XXMS1 Jelly Bean OTA firmware and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the international variant Galaxy S2 I9100 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the Galaxy S2 on your computer (download USB drivers).
- Backup the important data and settings on the phone using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of current phone setup. Avoid using Samsung KIES or ROM manager for data backup, as they lack flexible options.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure that the phone has at least 80 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown during the official firmware installation.
- Verify that the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) before proceeding with the firmware installation.
- As this is an official release, root access to the device will be lost soon after installing the firmware. Root the device again to regain full system access (Super User access) and install third-party root-based apps, custom ROMs and latest system tweaks.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable for damages during or after firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 XXMS1 Jelly Bean OTA Firmware on Galaxy S2 I9100
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 XXMS1 Jelly Bean official firmware for Galaxy S2 on the computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to install Android 4.1.2 XXMS1 official firmware on Galaxy S2 I9100.
Step 3 - Power off the phone and boot it into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap Power button until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit the Power button again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect your phone to it, when the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When your phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes turns yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step may take some time. So, do not interrupt the process.
Step 6 - Now, choose the files that need to be flashed or installed on phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the 'PDA' checkbox and choose the file with 'CODE' in its name.
- Select the 'Phone' checkbox and choose the file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Select the 'CSC' checkbox and choose the file named 'CSC'. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Click the 'PIT' checkbox and select the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. In case of the Re-Partition option, check it ONLY if you chose a .PIT file in the previous step.
Step 8 - Now, hit Start button in ODIN and the firmware installation process will begin. It would take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the firmware installation is complete, the phone will reboot. When the home screen appears, unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
Samsung Galaxy S2 is now successfully updated to latest Android 4.1.2 XXMS1 Jelly Bean official firmware. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
Also, check out our step-by-step guide to Root Galaxy S2 I9100 on Official Android 4.1.2 XXMS1 Jelly Bean Firmware
[Source: Team Android]