SlimROMs developers have released the upgraded version of their popular lightweight custom ROM - SlimBean v3.0 - for the international variant Galaxy S2 I9100. The smartphone has been hogging the limelight for quite some time, as it garners overwhelming developer attention in recent times. Just a few days ago, the handset received its first hybrid user-interface (UI) based custom ROM via ParanoidAndroid 3.0 ROM.
Now, the latest lightweight custom ROM reportedly offers fast and smooth interface with high-degree of customisation options in a stable release. The ROM includes default (stock) Android settings with additional Slim settings available for customisation. In other words, the SlimBean firmware is a stripped down version of the stock ROM.
Key Features of Android 4.2.2 SlimBean Jelly Bean ROM
- Device Options - Galaxy S2Settings
- Interface - Majority of customisation options are here
- OTA - Update Me
- Performance - CPU, voltage, tweaks etc
- Profiles - Set up various profiles for different occasions/environments such as work, home, evening etc
- Quiet hours
- Themes - Themeengine
- About Slim
Key Points to Note
- SlimBean 3.0 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are limited to the international variant Galaxy S2 I9100G model and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone via one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G USB drivers).
- Double check to see that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or Settings >Applications> Development (if the phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise, if the device is running Android 4.2, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of thescreenand select Build Number
- Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure that the phone has at least 80 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Ensure that the device is unlocked (not locked to any specific carrier) and rooted with CWM recovery installed on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only.IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 I9100G via SlimBean v3.0 ROM
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded SlimBean ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Now boot the phone into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
Step 6 - Once the device enters CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Note: Use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select an option in Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Then, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache under advanced option to prevent boot loops or any other boot ROM errors.
Step 8 - Then return to main Recovery screen and click Install Zip from SD card.
Step 9 - Now select Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to SlimBean v3.0 ROM file that you copied earlier to the phone's SD card and choose it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat the Step 9 for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 10 - Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, navigate to "+++++Go Back+++++" and hit Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu. Galaxy S2 I9100G will now reboot automatically and the first boot might take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
Congratulations! Galaxy S2 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 SlimBean v3.0 Jelly Bean ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]