We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
The second generation of Samsung's Galaxy S smartphones are to receive an Android Jelly Bean software update in 2013, to be followed by a security fix for the flaw found in devices powered by the Exynos 4210 and 4412 chips.
However, external developers have worked to make the software available ahead of the official release; the SlimBean team, for example, has released the SlimBean 4.2.1 Beta 1 custom ROM, based on Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) for the Galaxy S2 (I9100G).
Some of the new features available in this upgrade are modifications to the battery bar, the ability to customise notification backgrounds, APN + SPN updates, country-specific Wi-Fi settings, a camera power shutter mod and several more. Check out the source page for the update to find out more features and device specific issues.
Meanwhile, Galaxy S2 users looking to update to the SlimBean Beta 1 Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) ROM may follow the tutorial below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device during this process. We also warn readers this guide is meant only for the Samsung Galaxy S2 (I9100G).
- Ensure appropriate USB drivers are downloaded and USB debugging mode is enabled
- Ensure smartphone is rooted and ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery is installed
- Ensure device is factory unlocked
- Ensure all data is backed-up
- Ensure battery has at least 80 percent charge
To Install SlimBean Android 4.2.1 Custom ROM on Galaxy S2 (I9100G)
- Download SlimBean Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) ROM to the computer
- Download the Google apps package
- Connect device to computer with USB cable and copy downloaded zip files to SD card on device
- Note: Do not extract any files
- Disconnect device and switch it off
- Now, re-start in CWM Recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Power and Home until Samsung logo appears. Wait three seconds and hold all three again. CWM Recovery should start now
- In CWM Recovery, perform a Nandroid backup of existing ROM (to do so, select Backup and Restore > Backup and return to main Recovery menu once back-up is completed)
- In CWM Recovery, perform a data wipe by selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes and return to main Recovery menu once action is completed
- Use Volume keys to scroll to and select (using Power) Install Zip from SD Card and, within that option, Choose Zip from SD Card. Now, locate the Jelly Bean custom ROM, select and confirm installation
- After installation, repeat above selection procedure to flash the Google apps package
- After installation, go back to main Recovery menu and select Reboot System Now (first reboot may take some time)
- Note: To restore previous ROM, boot into Recovery, select Backup and Restore > Restore and select ROM to install
The SlimBean 4.2.1 Beta 1 custom ROM, based on Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean), has now been installed on the Samsung Galaxy S2 (9100G). Browse to Settings > About Phone to verify software version of the device.
[Source: Android Jinn]