We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
The Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300) has yet to receive an official Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) update from the South Koreans. However, there are a number of custom Jelly Bean ROMs available, with the SuperNexus 2.0 ROM being the newest.
The SuperNexus 2.0 ROM offers a number of Android 4.2.1 features, including official Jelly Bean boot animation (from the official Galaxy Nexus Android 4.2.1 Factory Image), an extended power menu (Reboot, Recovery, Download & Screenshot options), improvements to the camera app, the browser and the phone, among others; for a full list of features on offer, check out the development page.
Disclaimer: The SuperNexus 2.0 ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purposes only. IBTimes UK will not be responsible if the device is bricked during installation.
Android 4.2.1 SuperNexus 2.0 Features
- The SuperNexus 2.0 ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable for the international variant of the Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) only. Verify device model number via Settings > About Phone
- Verify correct USB drivers have been installed on the computer (download USB drivers)
- Ensure data backup
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating through Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3) or go to Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0). If the device is running on Android 4.2, go to Settings > About Phone
- Navigate to the bottom and select Build Number
- Tap Build Number seven times (a dialogue box opens after the third tap but continue with four more taps) and the Developer Options under settings are accessible and USB Debugging mode can be enabled
- Ensure 85 percent battery charge
- Ensure the phone's bootloader is unlocked and the device is rooted with ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery
- Perform a Dalvik Cache Wipe before proceeding from Recovery mode
Note: Samsung KIES will not recognise the device after installing the ROM, as it is a custom release
How to Install Nexus 4 - Styled Android 4.2.1 SuperNexus 2.0 ROM on Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300)
- Download Android 4.2.1 SuperNexus 2.0 Jelly Bean ROM and Google Apps for Galaxy S3 on PC
- Connect and mount Galaxy S3 USB mass storage on PC with original USB cable
- Copy/paste downloaded Android 4.2.1 SuperNexus 2.0 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on phone's SD card
- Power off phone and disconnect USB cable from the computer
- Now boot into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the device turns on
- In CWM Recovery, do a full data wipe first. Then browse to "Flash zip from SD card" option and tap Power button to select it
- Hit the Power button again and click Choose Zip from SD card
- Now, use volume keys to navigate to the Android 4.2.1 ROM zip file copied to SD card earlier and select it using the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation procedure will begin
- Note: Repeat this step for installing Google Apps
- Once Google Apps is installed, hit Go Back and reboot the phone by tapping Reboot System Now in the recovery menu (first reboot may take five minutes)
The device is now updated to Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) SuperNexus 2.0 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed
[Source: Team Android]