We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
The Galaxy S3 users from the UK are the lucky ones this time to receive the latest Jelly Bean update. Samsung has rolled out official Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) update with build number XXEMB1 for the UK Galaxy S3 (I9300) users. The XXEMB1 Jelly Bean is completely unbranded version of firmware and is compatible with a few other European countries.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Date: February 2013
Region supported: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain and UK
Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean features
Multi-View (Multi-Windows Multitasking, like Galaxy Note 2)
New Gallery app
Notification Panel can be customised
Brightness Slider in Notification Panel cab ne now disabled
Smart Rotation (Screen display adjust to user's angle of sightings
Continuous Input in Samsung Keyboard
(Like Swipe or Android 4.2 Keyboard)
Paper Artist app
Group Cast app
The latest Jelly Bean firmware can be installed via Samsung Kies. Those users, who failed to update their handset by the official method, may follow our step-by-step instruction guide to install the update manually.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are advised to verify the model number of their devices before proceeding, since the aforementioned Jelly Bean build works only with Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300, not with any other variants.
1) Download and install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S3 to the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Backup all the data of the phone. If the device is having ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed, then create back-up for the same.
4) Verify the Galaxy S3 carries more than 80 per cent of charge.
5) The phone should be factory unlocked.
6) The device will lose root with the installation of the official firmware.
Steps to install Android 4.1.2 XXEMB1 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3 I9300
1) Download Android 4.1.2 I9300XXEMB1 Jelly Bean for Galaxy S3 to the computer and extract the firmware zip file
2) Download Odin v1.85 which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware
3) Switch off the phone. Enter into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until the construction Android robot and a triangle appears. Then press the Power button again to enter Download Mode
4) Run Odin on the computer
5) Connect the Galaxy S3 to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. If the phone is connected successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will turn yellow with the COM port number. This step is likely to take some time
6) Now select the files, which are extracted from the XXEMB1 folder, to install on phone
a) Click on PDA and select file with Code in its name
b) Click on Phone and select file with Modem in its name
c) Click on CSC and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click on PIT and select the .pit file
[Note: Ignore the last three steps in case such files are not found.]
7) In Odin, ensure the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time options are selected. Verify that the Re-Partition option is selected in case a .PIT file is being used
8) Finally click the Start button in Odin to begin the installation which would take about a few minutes to complete
9) Once the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. After the Home screen appears, safely unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
Android 4.1.2 XXEMB1 Jelly Bean official firmware is now installed and running on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. Navigate to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software version running on the phone.
[Source: Team Android]