We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
The Galaxy S3 I9300 has had access to the latest Jelly Bean firmware update through a spate of recent custom ROM releases, even though Samsung is yet to roll out an official version of the latest Jelly Bean firmware for the handset. Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) Build 6 ROM is the latest custom release to offer Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean support for the Galaxy S3 I9300, which brings a Nexus-like stock Android experience while enabling users to customise their handsets more than ever before.
Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Based AOKP Build 6 ROM Features
- Fully revamped NavBar and Lockscreen UI in ROMControl
- Themeable lockscreen
- Scrollable toggleS are back
- WebGL on the Nexus 10
- Option to daydream on wireless charger
- Volume adjust sound preference
- Open source Superuser thanks to Koush
- StatusBar hide toggle
- Sleep toggle
Key Points to Note
- AOKP Build 6 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variant Galaxy S3 I9300 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > AboutPhone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 USB drivers).
- Back up important data and settings on phone using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Ensure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or Settings >Applications> Development (if the phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise, if the device is running Android 4.2, then perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure that the phone has at least 80 per cent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation, as this may inadvertently brick or damage the device.
- Double check to see that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM recovery installed on it.
- Perform a Dalvik Cache Wipe before continuing from Recovery mode.
- The phone will not be recognised by Samsung KIES after installing the ROM, as it is a custom release.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged during or after the firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with AOKP Build 6 ROM
Step 2 - Connect and mount the Galaxy S3 USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded AOKP Build 6 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
Step 6 - After the device enters ClockworkMod Recovery, do a full data wipe by choosing Wipe Data/Factory Reset option. Note: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and the Power button to select an option in Recovery.
Step 7 - Perform Wipe Cache Partition followed by Wipe Dalvik Cache from advanced option in CWM Recovery.
Step 8 - Return to main recovery screen and click Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - Select Choose Zip from SD card. Browse to the Android 4.2.2 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to the phone's SD card and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process should begin.
Google Apps: Repeat the Step 10 for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 11 - Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and reboot the phone by tapping Reboot System Now in the recovery menu. The phone will reboot now and the first boot might take about 5 minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Galaxy S3 I9300 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 based AOKP Build 6 custom ROM Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]