Galaxy S3 I9300 users are in for a special treat, as the popular hybrid custom ROM, Paranoid Android 3.0, brings a refreshingly pure Android Jelly Bean experience to the handset with a completely revamped user interface and a new array of themes. Based on the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware, the ROM supports a wide array of apps with hybrid custom options in a highly-stable release.
Paranoid Android 3.0+ ROM offers the following features on its new Hybrid UI engine: Per app Layout (switch individual apps between phone and tablet layouts), Per app Size (scale apps individually), Per app Colour (select statusbar and navbar colours for apps individually).
Here is the list of key features supported by Android 4.2.2 Paranoid Android 3.0+ ROM:
- Transparent bars and color pickers,
- New SystemUI drawables thanks to giannisgx89
- Theming Engine
- Statusbar Settings, Lockscreen Settings
- Multiuser support
- Quicksettings -> Quicktoggles
- 4.2 Walls and sounds, Google stock apps
- New holo-styled theme chooser
- T9 dialer
- New papreferences app
Key Points to Note
- Paranoid Android 3.0 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are limited to the Galaxy S3 I9300 model only. It will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Galaxy S3 I9300 USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone including the EFS folder, which contains key security information like the device's IMEI number. It is recommended that you use one of the custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP for data backup, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Ensure that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM recovery installed on it. Download and install Root Checker app from Google Play Store to verify if the device is actually rooted or not.
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, then perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for at least five minutes before working on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via Paranoid Android 3.0 ROM
Step 2: Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with USB cable.
Step 3: Copy the two files (without extracting) to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
Step 4: Power off the device and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5: Boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. Alternatively download ROM Manager App from Google Play Store to enter device into Recovery Mode.
Step 6: Once the device enters CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by choosing Wipe Data/Factory Reset. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate and Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7: Perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8: Once the process completes, perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. This will prevent intermittent boot loop issues and other ROM related errors. To do this, go to "advanced" option and then select Wipe Dalvik Cache in CWM recovery.
Step 9: Return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10: Click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to Paranoid Android 3.0 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
Step 11: Once the ROM installation completes, repeat Step 10 but choose Google Apps.zip file for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 12: Once the ROM is installed, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and hit Reboot System Now in the recovery menu. The phone will now reboot and the first boot might take about five minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
Your Galaxy S3 i9300 is now running the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based Paranoid Android 3.0 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
NOTE: If the device is stuck at boot or experiencing boot loop issues after the ROM installation, then just turn off the device and reinstall the Jelly Bean firmware from start. You can also try reinserting the battery or just long press the Power button to force-reboot the device.
[Source: Android Advices]