Galaxy S3 I9300 users in the UK and Europe can now enjoy a host of exciting features on their handset with the release of latest Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) XXEMC2 official firmware from Samsung. The new Jelly Bean update brings minor bug fixes and feature enhancements over its previous release. Some of the noteworthy features supported on this official firmware include Multi-View (multi-windows multitasking, same as in Note 2), page buddy and customisable notification panel.
Key Features of Official Android 4.1.2 XXEMC2 Jelly Bean Firmware
Here is the complete list of key features supported on official Android 4.1.2 XXEMC2 Jelly Bean firmware:
- Based on Android 4.1.2 JZO54K firmware
- Multi-View (Multi-Windows Multitasking, same as in Note II)
- Page Buddy
- NewGalleryApp (Same as in Note II)
- NotificationPanel (NotificationPanel can now be customized)
- Brightness Slider inNotificationPanel Can Now Be Disabled
- Smart Rotation (Screen Display adjusts to your angle of sightings)
- Continues Input in Samsung Keyboard (Like Swipe or Android 4.2 Keyboard)
- Paper Artist App
- Group Cast App
Key Points to Note
- XXEMC2 official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are limited to the international variant Galaxy S3 I9300 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on phone using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Make sure that the phone has at least 80 per cent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation, as this may inadvertently brick or damage the device.
- As this is an official release, ensure that the device is not rooted (download Root Checker app). Unroot the device first (if it is already rooted), before proceeding with the firmware installation.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 USB drivers).
- Ensure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Double check to see that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) with CWM recovery installed on it.
- Root access to the device will be lost soon after installing the official firmware. So, it is imperative to root the phone again to regain full system access and be able to install third-party root apps on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only.IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S3 I9300 with XXEMC2 Firmware
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 I9300XXEMC2 official firmware for Galaxy S3 on computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v3.07 which is required to install the official firmware on the phone.
Step 3 - Power off the device and boot it into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together, while simultaneously tapping the Power button until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit the Power button again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect the phone to computer while the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will indicate yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step may be time-consuming. So, leave it alone.
Step 6 - Now, choose the files that must be flashed or installed on the phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the 'PDA' checkbox and choose the file with '.tar' or '.md5' in its name.
- Select the 'Phone' checkbox and click the file with 'MODEM' in its name. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
- Choose the 'CSC' checkbox and select the file with 'CSC' in its name. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Click the 'PIT' checkbox and choose the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. In case of the Re-Partition option, check it ONLY if a .PIT file is chosen in the previous step.
Step 8 - Now hit the Start button in ODIN and the firmware installation process will begin. It should take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the official firmware installation is complete, the phone will reboot automatically. Finally, when the home-screen boots-up, disconnect the phone from the computer.
Congratulations! Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 is now successfully updated to official Android 4.1.2 XXEMC2 Jelly Bean firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
Those who have already installed the official firmware through one of the three methods: Samsung KIES, Over-The-Air (OTA) update or manually using this guide, can now root their device using ODIN flash tool by following our step-by-step guide below.
Note: Rooting the device is essential to regain full system access and be able to install third-party root apps, custom ROMs and latest system tweaks. The CF-Root package used in this guide will automatically install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery v5.5 on the device and hence there is no need to install any custom recovery tools separately after rooting.
How to Root Galaxy S3 I9300 on Official Android 4.1.2 XXEMC2 Jelly Bean Firmware
Step 1 - Download CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.zip for Galaxy S3 on the computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is required to root the XXEMC2 official firmware on the phone.
Step 3 - Power off the phone and boot it into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together; and then simultaneously tap the Power button until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit the Power button again to progress into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect your phone to it computer while the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 6 - If the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will indicate yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step may be time-consuming. So, leave it alone.
Step 7 - Now choose the root package file that must be flashed or installed on the phone, which can be found within the extracted file in Step 1.
- Click the 'PDA' checkbox and choose the file CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.tar.
Step 8 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options and leave all other options at their default values.
Step 9 - Now hit the Start button in ODIN and the root installation process will begin. It should take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 10 - Once the root installation process completes, the phone will reboot automatically. Finally, when the home screen appears, just disconnect the phone from the computer.
Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 is now rooted on official Android 4.1.2 XXEMC2 Jelly Bean firmware. Check for the Superuser app in the phone's apps list to verify if installation is successful. Alternatively, download and install Root Checker App from Google Play Store to confirm root access is installed and working correctly.