Samsung's third generation Galaxy S series smartphone with model number I9300 is currently running on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official firmware and there is no official word as to when the device will receive Android 4.2.2.
Prior to the official release, Galaxy S3 users can now upgrade their handsets to the latest Jelly Bean software using the new custom release, SlimBean Build 4.2, by the SlimROMs team. The SlimBean Build 4.2 is based on Android 4.2.2. It is the successor to the SlimBean Build 4 which reportedly contains language problems. The Build 4.2 fixes the issues found in the previous version. Additionally, it integrates several customised features and tweaks.
Changes and features of SlimBean Build 4.2
Update to JDQ39E
Added Music Playback Control tile
Added Developer option for MediaScanner Behavior Control on boot
Added TextArea size to MMS
Enhanced Auto-Brightness UI
Updated PlayStore to v4.0.26
Fixed Translation issues
Fixed SlimSizer FC
Fixed BlackList button behavior
Fixed NavBar menu hidden on softkey devices
Fixed SlimIRC bugs
Fixed DashClock extension icons hidden when minimised
Fixed PIN entry disable by some apps
Mako: Added focus modes to camera, seems to fixed flash
Nozomi: Reduce lowest brightness level
D2: Fixed video playback reboot
Possible Unknown Alarm tone [After-effect of updated tones]
Auto-Brightness help menu opens some derped screen
Bootloop in Spanish and French when setting display battery to always on lockscreen- flash fix if available in device download page
Head over to the development page to learn more about the SlimBean Build 4.2.
Galaxy S3 users who wish to install Android 4.2.2 using the SlimBean Build 4.2, may follow our step-by-step guide. Users may come across minor bug issues as the ROM is in the development stage. Those who are on Build 4 can directly flash the Build 4.2. But those who are running the older version of SlimBean build should perform data wipe.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not he held liable for any damage to the device. Before installing the custom firmware, users are advised to ensure that their devices meet the requirements below.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 to transfer files between the Android device to the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial is likely wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed, then users are recommended to backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy S3 should have above 80 per cent battery charge.
5) The device should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed.
6) The SlimBean Build 4.2 ROM works only on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. Flashing this on any other variant is likely to brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of Galaxy S3 by selecting Settings>> About phone.
7) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on Booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache five more times before rebooting the device.
8) Users are advised to give about five to 10 minutes to the ROM after the first boot for a better user experience.
Steps to install SlimBean Build 4.2 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
Step-2: Download SlimBean Gapps [Google apps package]
Step-3: Plug in the USB cable to the Galaxy Note to connect it with the computer. Then transfer the downloaded zip files to SD card of the device. Do not extract any files
Step-4: Unplug the USB cable from the phone and then turn it off
Step-5: Place the device into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together until the screen flashes. Then release all three buttons
[Note: In recovery mode, use the Volume keys to scroll between the options and use Power button to select the desired option.]
Step-6: While in recovery mode, first perform a Nadroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later if the new ROM does not work or users wish to go back to the previous ROM. To do so, select Backup and Restore then on the next screen select Backup again. When the action is completed, return to the main recovery menu
Step-7: Perform data wiping task to avoid clash between the new ROM and the previous one. Select wipe data/factory reset and then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for a few minutes until the data wiping process is done and then go back to the recovery menu. Select wipe cache partition then select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advanced option to perform Dalvik cache wiping. When the action is completed, return to the main recovery menu
Step-8: Select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Brose to the SlimBean Build 4.2 ROM zip file earlier copied to the SD card. Select it by pressing the Power button and confirm installation on the next screen. The installation procedure should start now
Step-9: After the ROM is installed, follow the similar procedure (step-8) and choose the SlimBean Gapps zip file to install the Google Apps on the phone
Step-10: Once the installation process is completed, go back to main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the device and boot up into the new customised Jelly Bean ROM. The phone will take about five minutes to boot up for the first time
[Note: To go back to the previous ROM, boot the device into recovery mode, select Backup and Restore then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.]
Samsung Galaxy S3 should now be running on SlimBean Build 4.2 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM. Navigate to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software version of the device.
Click here for step-by-step guide to unroot Samsung Galaxy S3 to stock official firmware and reclaim warranty.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]