We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
As expected, Samsung has begun pushing out Android 4.3 official update for the global version of Galaxy S3 with model number GT-I9300. The official update comes following the leak of an Android 4.3 test build for the handset.
With base firmware I9300XXUGMJ9, the Android 4.3 update is currently available for Vodafone subscribers in Ireland. The update is rolled out in phases and expected to become available in other regions gradually.
Along with Android 4.3 upgrade, the I9300XXUGMJ9 official build brings a host of new features and improvements for the Galaxy S3 including enhanced UI, Daydream and new Samsung Keyboard. The update also adds support for Galaxy Gear. Click here to know more about the Android 4.3 new features and improvements for Galaxy S3.
Country: Ireland (Vodafone)
Version: Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
Build date: 26 October
Product code: VDI
The Android 4.3 I9300XXUGMJ9 Jelly Bean is available as OTA update and also live on Samsung Kies server. Those Galaxy S3 users who are staying outside Ireland and failed to update their devices using either of the official methods for being region specific, may follow our step-by-step guide to install the same manually.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to verify their handsets meet following set of requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S3 to connect the Android device with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option then check USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy S3 should have battery charge above 80%.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock recovery.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version once official firmware is installed.
8) XXUGMJ9 Android 4.3 official firmware works only with Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S3 by navigating to Settings>> About device>> Model number.
Steps to install XXUGMJ9 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
Step-1: Download Android 4.3 official firmware for Galaxy S3 to computer
Download link: I9300XXUGMJ9_I9300VFGGMJ5_VDI.zip
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware file to get a file I9300XXUGMJ9_I9300VFGGMJ5_I9300BUUGMJ3_HOME.tar.md5 file
Step-3: Download Odin3 v3.09. Extract Odin zip to get Odin v3.09.exe in it
Step-4: Run Odin3 v3.09.exe on computer
Step-5: Restart the Galaxy S3 in to Download Mode. To do so, first power off the phone and wait for five to six seconds after the display is off. Press and hold Volume Down, Power and Home buttons together until a warning screen appears. Then press the Volume Up button to continue to enter into Download Mode
Step-6: Connect the phone to computer using USB cable while it is in Download Mode. The successful connection will be indicated by an Added message in Odin and also the one of the ID: COM box will turn blue with the COM port number.
Note: If the Added message does not appear, try another ISB port located at the back side of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognise the phone then reinstall USB driver.
Step-7: Click the AP button in Odin and select
I9300XXUGMJ9_I9300VFGGMJ5_I9300BUUGMJ3_HOME.tar.md5 file which was extracted earlier
Step-8: Under Option section in Odin, verify Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected. Uncheck Re-Partition option
Step-9: Click the Start button in Odin to begin the installation which will take a few minutes
Step-10: A PASS message will appear when the flashing is completed and the phone will restart automatically. When the home screen appear, unplug the USB cable form the phone
The Android 4.3 I9300XXUGMJ9 Jelly Bean official firmware should now be installed and running on the Galaxy S3. Navigate to Settings>> About device to verify the new software version of the phone.
How to fix bootloop issue
If the device encounter any issue such as FC or Bootlooop, with the firmware installation, then boot the phone in recovery mode. Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. In recovery mode, perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe data/factory reset. Then reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select any option. Performing wiping task will erase all data including internal SD card of the device.