An Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) update, with build number XXALK3, has been released for the LTE version of the Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9305). The update is available via Samsung Kies and is compatible with UK handsets.
Galaxy S3 (LTE) users looking to update to the XXALK3 firmware may follow this tutorial. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held responsible for damage to the device during this procedure. We also warn users this guide is meant only for the Galaxy S3 LTE (I9305).
- Ensure appropriate USB drivers are downloaded and enable USB debugging mode
- Ensure back-up of all data
- Ensure battery has at least 80 percent charge
- Ensure device is factory unlocked
To Install Android 4.1.1 XXALK3 (Jelly Bean) on Galaxy S3 LTE (I9305)
- Download Android 4.1.1 XXALK3 for and extract zip file
- Download Odin3 v.185 and extract zip file
- Switch phone off and re-start in Download mode (to do so, press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power till Galaxy logo appears on screen)
- Start Odin and connect device to computer with USB cable (a successful connection is indicated with a message - Added - and a COM port box appearing in yellow with a port number)
- In Odin, select these files (from the XXALK3 folder)
- Click PDA and select.tar file named Code
- Click Phone and select file named Modem
- Click CSC and select file named CSC
- Click PIT and select .pit file
- Note: Ignore last three steps if such files are not found
- Click Start to begin installation
- After installation, device will automatically re-start (a successful installation is indicated by a message - Pass - appearing in a box with a green background)
- Disconnect device from computer
The Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (I9305) is now running Android 4.1.1 XXALK3 (Jelly Bean) official firmware. Navigate to Settings >About Phone to verify software on device.
Galaxy S3 users can root the device using the CF-Auto-Root package. IBTimes UK warns readers this guide is for the Galaxy S3 (LTE) running Android 4.1.1 XXALK3 only. This method requires Odin3 v1.85.
To Root Galaxy S3 LTE on Android 4.1.1 XXALK3 (Jelly Bean)
- Download CF-Auto-Root package for Galaxy S3 (I9305) and extract the zip file
- Switch phone off and re-start in Download mode (to do so, press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power till warning message appears and then press Power again)
- Start Odin and connect device to computer using USB cable
- In Odin, click PDA, select CF-Auto-Root-m3-m3zh-gti9305.tar.md5 and then click Start
- After installation, a message - Pass - in a box with green background will appear. The device will then reboot. Disconnect only after Samsung logo appears
The Samsung Galaxy S3, running Android 4.1.1 XXALK3 (Jelly Bean) firmware, has now been rooted. This will allow the installation of apps that need root permission.
[Source: Android Jinn]