Samsung has released an Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) upgrade, with a base firmware of XXALL2, for the international version of the Galaxy S3 Mini (I8190). The file is available as an over-the-air (OTA) transfer and through Samsung Kies.
S3 Mini users looking to update ahead of the scheduled availability for each region may follow this guide. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held responsible for damage to the device during this procedure. We also warn users this guide is only for the S3 Mini (I8190).
- Ensure appropriate USB drivers are downloaded to computer and USB debugging mode is enabled
- Ensure back-up of all data, particularly the EFS folder
- Ensure battery has at least 80 percent charge
To Install Android 4.1.1 XXALL2 (Jelly Bean) on Galaxy S3 Mini
- Download Android 4.1.1 XXALL2 and extract firmware zip file (UK users - download link)
- Download Odin v3.07 and extract zip file
- Switch device off and re-start in Download mode (to do so, press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons till Samsung logo appears)
- Start Odin in computer and connect device using USB cable (a successful connection is indicated with the message - Added - and a COM port box appearing in yellow with a port number)
- In Odin select these files in the order mentioned
- Click PDA and select .tar file named Code
- Click Phone and select file named Modem
- Click CSC and select file named CSC
- Click PIT and select .pit file
- Note: Ignore last three steps if such files are not found
- Click Start in Odin to begin installation
- After installation, device will automatically reboot (a successful installation is indicated by a message from Odin - Pass - in a box with a green background)
- Disconnect device from computer
The Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini (I8190) is now running Android 4.1.1 XXALL2 (Jelly Bean). Browse to Settings > About Phone to verify software on device.
[Source: Android Jinn]