Galaxy S4 GT-I9506 (LTE Advance) users of EE Network in the United Kingdom can finally enjoy their first official Over-The-Air (OTA) firmware, thanks to the release of I9506XXUAMHD Jelly Bean firmware.
Galaxy S4 LTE-A is the world's first LTE Advance technology enabled smartphone with the capability of achieving data download speeds up to 150 Mbps. The handset is yet to release in the global market, as several countries are yet to support the new LTE Advance technology with their mobile carriers.
Nevertheless, the first OTA update for the phone is also available via Samsung KIES in select countries. Those who have not received the update notification and those who cannot wait for the official release in their country can follow our step-by-step guide to install the same manually.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
NOTE: Galaxy S4 GT-I9506 may be updated in one of three ways: Over-The-Air (OTA) or via Odin or via Samsung KIES and manual update.
Android 4.2.2 XXUAMHD Firmware Details
Model: GT-I9506 (LTE-A)
Country: United Kingdom (EE)
Version: Android 4.2.2
Build date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 08:15:28 +0000
Product Code: EVR
- The I9506XXUAMHD official firmware and instructions provided are limited to Galaxy S4 GT-I9506 (LTE-A) model. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using recommended custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as data wiping process is mandatory in this tutorial.
- Download and installcorrect USB drivers for Galaxy S4 GT-I9506 on computer.
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on phone by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development or Settings > Developer Options.
- Double-check the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing ROM.
- If device is stuck at booting or experiences boot loop issues, Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before using device.
- If a Status 7 error message flashes while installing firmware, it could be due to an incompatible device or absence of a necessary kernel (for instance, a Jelly Bean Kernel must be installed before installing any Jelly Bean ROM).
How to Update Galaxy S4 LTE-A to Android 4.2.2 XXUAMHD Official Firmware via OTA
- Ensure the phone has a stable internet connection (Wi-Fi or data network)
- Turn on the device and navigate to android apps drawer and choose Settings > About device > System > Software update and tap on Update (check for updates).
- If an update is available, hit OK to download and install.
- The phone will reboot automatically and complete installation.
- If you see the message: "The latest updates have already been installed," then it means there are no further updates available and you have to wait for the next OTA.
How to Update Galaxy S4 LTE-A to Android 4.2.2 XXUAMHD Official Firmware via Samsung KIES
- Ensure the computer has a stable internet connection.
- Download and install Samsung KIES on computer.
- Power on the device and connect it to computer via USB cable.
- Launch Samsung KIES on computer and wait until it detects your device.
- A message saying: "New Firmware Upgrade is available" should now appear on the home screen of Samsung KIES.
- Hit Firmware Upgrade button to continue.
- Read and agree to the terms and conditions about the upgrade by checking the box and then tap Start Upgrade to proceed.
- Wait until the firmware is downloaded and installed. Do not disconnect the phone at this moment.
- Once the installation completes, the device will reboot automatically. Go to Settings > About device > Android & baseband version to confirm the firmware version installed.
How to Manually Update Galaxy S4 GT-I9506 to Android 4.2.2 XXUAMHD Official Firmware via Odin
Step 2: Extract the firmware zip file to the desktop to obtain a .tar.md5 file.
Step 3: Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe as well as few other files.
Step 4: Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Then boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a warning triangle sign appears on screen. Then hit Volume Up to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you extracted in Step 3 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the installation process smoothly.
Step 6: Connect the Galaxy S4 LTE-A to the computer via USB cable, while the device is still in Download mode. When the device connects successfully, a message saying "Added!" appears in ODIN and the ID: COM box will turn yellow or blue with the corresponding COM port number. If the message fails to appear, try reinstalling the tablet's USB drivers or changing the port on computer.
Step 6: Choose the following files from the extracted I9506XXUAMHD firmware folder obtained in Step 1 by using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the '.tar.md5' file
Step 7: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But the Re-Partition checkbox must not be selected or checked.
Step 8: To prevent ROM related errors, verify Step 6 and Step 7 are done correctly. Then hit START button to begin flashing firmware.
Step 9: Once the firmware installation is complete, the phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with a green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Wait until the home screen loads up. Now it is safe to unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
Galaxy S4 GT-I9506 (LTE-A) is now running on the first Android 4.2.2 XXUAMHD official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
[Source: Android Teen]