Samsung recently started rolling out its latest official firmware update for the Galaxy S4 in various parts of the world in phases. Most of these firmware updates come with security fixes and feature enhancements, while some offer bug-fixes and performance improvements over its previous iteration.
Galaxy S4 I9500 users in India can now download and install the latest official Jelly Bean firmware, Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDE, through Samsung KIES as well as via Over-The-Air (OTA) update. Those who missed the update via official channels and those residing outside India can grab this update manually using this guide.
Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDE Firmware Details:
Date: April, 2013
- XXUAMDE official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the international variant Galaxy S4 I9500 model only. It will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone (including contacts, SMS, MMS, images, videos, APNs and other internet settings)
- Ensure the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Make sure the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on your computer (download Galaxy S4 I9500 USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). If the device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom and choose Build Number
- Tap the Build Number for seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode from Settings > Developer Options.
- The installation of this firmware requires ODIN flash tool in Windows OS. However, Linux (such as Ubuntu) and Mac OS users should use CrossOver Utility to run ODIN on their system.
Key Points to Note
- Access to custom ROMs (such as CyanogenMod 10, Paranoid Android or AOKP) and custom recovery tools (such as ClockworkMod or TWRP) will be lost soon after installing the official firmware as custom versions will be replaced by their stock counterparts.
- Root access to the device is no longer available after installing the firmware. Users should re-root their device to regain root access (Super User access) and be able to install third-party root apps, custom ROMs and latest system tweaks).
- As this is an official release from Samsung, it does not increase the binary flash counter during firmware installation. Hence the device warranty is unaffected with this installation.
- Windows 7 users should run ODIN as Administrator to facilitate full write access and prevent conflicts during the firmware installation process.
- If "MD5 hash value is invalid" error message appears in ODIN message box, then just re-download the firmware to resolve the issue.
How to Install Official Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDE Jelly Bean Firmware on Galaxy S4 I9500
1. Extract the downloaded firmware zip file to receive a .tar.md5 file and a .dll file.
2. Extract Odin zip file to obtain Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
3. Switch off the phone and Wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
4. Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home (center) button togther and then long press the Power button until a screen prompts you to hit the Volume Up key to continue.
5. Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe (see Step 2) as an Administrator as Admin privileges are required to complete the installation process smoothly.
6. Connect the phone to computer with USB cable. At this point, the ID: COM port with a number turns Yellow if the device is added successfully.
7. Choose the following files in Odin from extracted I9500XXUAMDE firmware folder using the respective checkboxes:
- Choose the PDA checkbox, and click the file with '.tar' or '.md5' in its name.
- Click the Phone checkbox, and choose the file named 'Modem' (ignore if there is no such file)
- Select the CSC checkbox, and choose the file named 'CSC' (ignore if such file is absent)
- Choose the PIT checkbox, and select the .pit file. Perform this step only if you got the .pit file while extracting in step 1 above, otherwise ignore it.
8. In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time by selecting the checkboxes. But, the Re-Partition checkbox should be selected, only if a .pit file was used in the previous step.
9. Verify that everything mentioned in Step 7 and Step 8 are done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin the flashing process.
10. Once flashing process completes, your phone will reboot and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. You can now remove the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
Your Galaxy S4 I9500 is now running on latest Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDE Jelly Bean official firmware. Go to Settings > About phone to verify if firmware installation is sucessful.
If the phone gets stuck at boot animation after Step 10 then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and then perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition task before choosing reboot system now. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Please note that performing data wipe task will erase your device's internal memory and not external SD card data.
[Source: Android Jinn]