We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Along with the Snapdragon 600 quad-core variant, Samsung has released the official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update for the Exynos 5 octa-core version of Galaxy S4 with model number GT-I9500. The new official build reportedly makes the device faster and brings several improvements and optimisations.
With base firmware I9500XXUEMJ5, the Android 4.3 update is currently rolling in Russia. Users can grab the firmware via Samsung Kies server as well as OTA update.
Version: Android 4.3
Build date: 14 October
Product code: SER
Galaxy S4 users, who are staying outside Russia and failed to update their device using both official methods for being region-specific may follow our step-by-step guide to install the update manually using Odin flashing tool.
As the I9500XXUEMJ5 build is an unbranded version of firmware, it can be installed on any unlocked GT-I9500 unit, irrespective of region and country.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to verify their handsets meet following set of requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S4 to connect the Android device with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option then check USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy S4 should have battery charge above 80%.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock recovery.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version once official firmware is installed.
8) XXUEMJ5 Android 4.3 official firmware works only with Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S4 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to install XXUEMJ5 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500
Step-2: Download Odin3.09. Extract Odin zip to get Odin v3.09.exe in it
Step-3: Double-click to open the Odin3 v3.09.exe file to start Odin
Step-4: Boot the Galaxy S4 in to Download Mode. To do so, first power off the phone and wait for five to six seconds after the display is off. Press and hold Volume Down, Power and Home buttons together until a warning screen appears. Then press the Volume Up button to continue to enter into Download Mode
Step-5: Connect the phone to computer using USB cable while it is in Download Mode. The successful connection will be indicated by an Added message in Odin
Note: If the Added message does not appear then follow these troubleshooting issues.
Verify USB driver is installed properly.
If the driver is installed, try to uninstall and then reinstall it again.
Try different USB port on the computer.
Reboot the phone and computer and then try again.
Step-6: Load the file, extracted from I9500XXUEMJ5, in Odin
Click the AP button in Odin and select I9500XXUEMJ5_I9500SEREMJ5_I9500XXUEMJ5_HOME.tar.md5 file
The Odin window might freeze and show 'Not responding' alert because of the large size of the AP file. There is nothing to worry, it will get back to normal.
Step-7: Under the Option section in Odin, verify Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected. All other boxes should be unchecked
Step-8: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin to begin the installation
Step-9: A PASS message will appear when the flashing is completed and the phone will restart automatically. Once the home screen appear, unplug the USB cable form the phone
Note: Instead of a PASS message if FAIL message comes, disconnect the Galaxy S4 from the computer, close Odin, remove the battery of the phone and reinsert the battery in three to four seconds, open Odin and then repeat from step-3.
Samsung Galaxy S4 will automatically reboot and boot into I9500XXUEMJ5 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean official firmware.
Troubleshoot issue after flashing
After installation if the phone comes across issues such as Boot animation, bootloop, phone running slow or app force closing then perform a factory reset of the device using recovery to resolve the issues. To do so, first switch off the phone. Press and hold Home, Volume Up and Power buttons together until the phone turns on then release all three buttons. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option. Navigate to Wipe data/Factory Reset and select it. Then select Yes to confirm the action on the next screen. Select Reboot system now to boot the phone. This should fix the bootloop issue of the Galaxy S4. It should be noted that performing data wiping will erase the internal data of the phone, therefore, backup data before proceeding.
[Source: The Android Soul]