Samsung has rolled out the second official Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) firmware (XXUAMDC) for its flagship smartphone (LTE variant), Galaxy S4 I9505, within a span of a few days. The firmware addresses minor bugs including lesser RAM availability for end user and some overheating issues with the device.
Key Points to Note
- XXUAMDC official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are meant for the Galaxy S4 I9505 model only. It will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settingson the phone (including contacts, SMS, MMS, images, videos, APNs and other internet settings)
- Ensure the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Make sure the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on your computer (download Galaxy S4 I9505 USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). If the device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom and choose Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode from Settings > Developer Options.
- Installation of the firmware requires ODIN flash tool in Windows OS. However, Linux (such as Ubuntu) and Mac OS users should use CrossOver Utility to run ODIN on the system.
- As this is an official release, the installation of the firmware will neither increase the binary flash counter nor void the device warranty.
- Windows 7 users should run ODIN as Administrator to facilitate full write access and prevent conflicts during the firmware installation process.
- If "MD5 hash value is invalid" error message appears in ODIN message box, then just re-download the firmware to resolve the issue.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy S4 I9505 to Official Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDC Jelly Bean Firmware
1. Extract the downloaded firmware zip file to receive a .tar.md5 file and a .dll file.
2. Extract Odin zip file to obtain Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
3. Power off the phone and Wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
4. Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home button together and then long press the Power button until a green robot icon with a triangle appears on the screen.
5. Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe (see Step 2) as an Administrator as Admin privileges are required to complete the installation process smoothly.
6. Connect the phone to computer with USB cable. At this point, the ID: COM port with a number turns Yellow or Green indicating the drivers are installed correctly or the device is connected successfully.
7. Choose the following files in Odin from extracted I9500XXUAMDE firmware folder using the respective checkboxes:
- Choose the PDA checkbox, and click the file with '.tar' or '.md5' in its name.
- Click the Phone checkbox, and choose the file named 'Modem' (ignore if there is no such file)
- Select the CSC checkbox, and choose the file named 'CSC' (ignore if such file is absent)
- Choose the PIT checkbox, and select the .pit file. Perform this step only if you got the .pit file while extracting in step 1 above, otherwise ignore it.
8. In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time by selecting the checkboxes. But, the Re-Partition checkbox should be selected, only if a .pit file was used in the previous step.
9. Verify that everything mentioned in Step 7 and Step 8 is done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin the flashing process. The entire process of installation should normally take about 10 to 15 minutes to complete.
10. Once flashing process completes, your phone will reboot and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. You can now remove the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
Your Galaxy S4 I9505 is now running on the latest Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDC Jelly Bean official firmware. Go to Settings > About phone to verify if firmware installation is successful.
If the phone gets stuck at boot animation after Step 10 then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and then perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition task before choosing reboot system now. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Please note that performing data wipe task will erase your device's internal memory and not external SD card data.
Check out our step-by-step guide: Root Galaxy S4 I9505 (Snapdragon) on Official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware with Motochopper and CF-Auto-Root
[Source: Android Advices]