As Samsung's fourth Galaxy S series smartphone goes on sale in the UK, the manufacturer has issued the first official software update, Android 4.2.2 with base firmware XXUAMDM, for the LTE version of the device powered by a Snapdragon 600 chip, bearing model number I9505.
Version: Android 4.2.2
Build date: 12 April, 2013
The I9505XXUAMDM, featuring Samsung's Nature UX user interface v2.0, is currently available in Germany. Users can download the update through the Samsung KIES server. The XXUAMDM Jelly Bean is an unbranded version of firmware which means it can be installed on any Galaxy S4 I9505 unit except those which are from China, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Galaxy S4 users who fail to update their handsets with Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDM Jelly Bean using the official method for being region-specific, may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet the following requirements before installing the firmware.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S4 to transfer files between the Android device to the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed then users are recommended to backup data using the same.
4) The Galaxy S4 should have above 80 per cent battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The I9505XXUAMDM is an official firmware which means the phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of the official version. It will also lose custom recovery which will be replaced with the stock recovery.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version once the official build is installed.
8) The Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDM Jelly Bean works only on Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505. Flashing this on an incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the Galaxy S4 by navigating to Settings>> About phone.
Steps to install Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDM Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505
1) Download Android 4.2.2 I9505XXUAMDM Jelly Bean official firmware for Samsung Galaxy S4 to the computer. Then extract the downloaded zip file
2) Download Odin3 v3.07 which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware
3) Power off the Galaxy S4. Place the device in Download Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Home together, and then press the Power button until the construction Android robot and a triangle appear on the screen. Then press the Power button again to confirm entry into Download Mode
4) Run Odin on the computer
5) Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable while it is in Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the device is connected successfully, the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the COM port number. A message saying Added will appear under Odin. If the Added message does not show, then try the port located at the back side of the computer. If that too does not work, then re-install USB drivers
6) Select theses files, extracted from I9505XXUAMDM folder, to install on the phone
a) Click on PDA button and select file with .tar or .tar.md5 extension
b) Click on Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name
c) Click on CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click on PIT button and select the .pit file
[Note: Ignore the steps-b, c and d in case such files are not found.]
7) In Odin, verify that Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected. As for the Re-Partition, select the option if only a .pit file is being used
8) Finally click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take a few minutes to complete
9) When the installation process is completed, a PASS message will appear in Odin indicating the successful installation. Thephone will then restart automatically. Once the home screen appears on the phone, unplug the USB cable from the device to disconnect it from the computer
Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 is now updated and running on official Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDM Jelly Bean. Head over to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software version of the device.
Source: [Team Android]