Samsung is finally rolling out its latest Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) update to Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 in several countries, starting with Germany. Though the update is being delivered after a small delay, it is said to be the most bug free and stable firmware till date.
The new Android 4.3 update comes with few visual changes, but includes a host of feature enhancements and optimisations. The update reportedly improves the speed and performance of the handset, as evident in the Antutu Benchmark which shows a score of 25-26K with Android 4.2.2 and a much improved score of 29-30K with Android 4.3.
SamMobile has recently tested a few internal builds as well as the latest official firmware to reveal the list of significant changes and improvements incorporated.
Here is the complete list of feature enhancements and changes introduced into the Android 4.3 update, as revealed by SamMobile:
- OpenGL 3.0 Support
- GALAXY GEAR Support
- TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
- ANT+ Support
- Samsung KNOX Implementation (KNOX bootloader and dedicated application)
- Samsung Wallet comes pre-loaded
- Improved RAM management
- Improved Display colour reproduction (Display looks much sharper than before)
- Improved TouchWiz Launcher (Much less launcher redraws and less lag)
- New Samsung Keyboard
- New Samsung Browser (Full screen by default, new tab interface and more)
- New Reading Mode (Optimises display for reading, used by only a few specific applications)
- New Camera firmware
- Minor UI tweaks (Contacts app, Flashlight Widget, dialog boxes etc)
As the update is being rolled out in phases, it may take some time before it is available in your country. Carrier branded handsets may face a bit of delay as the firmware has to be optimised by the carrier before Samsung releases it as Over-The-Air (OTA) update.
How to Install Android 4.3 XXUEMJ5 on Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 via OTA
In order to update your Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 (LTE) via OTA, perform the following steps: Go to Settings > More > About Device and click Software update. The available firmware update should now be displayed on screen. Now tap Update again to begin firmware installation.
Those who cannot access the official firmware via OTA update or Samsung KIES for some reason can still install the same manually using the step-by-step guide given below (courtesy of Team Android):
Android 4.3 XXUEMJ5 Official Firmware Details
Build Date: October 2013
IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The Android 4.3 I9505XXUEMJ5 official firmware and instructions provided in this guide are limited to the Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 model. Do not attempt installing this firmware on any other device, as it may permanently damage or brick the device. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the device model number.
- Ensure the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 USB drivers)
- Disable Samsung KIES as well as any security software installed on the computer.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone to avoid data loss during firmware installation.
- Ensure the device has at least 80% battery charge before you proceed.
How to Update Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 with Android 4.3 XXUEMJ5 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
Step 1 - Download the official firmware for Galaxy S4 to your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v3.07 which is needed to install Android 4.3 on Galaxy S4 I9505.
Step 3 - Power off the phone and boot it into Download Mode. To do so, Press and hold Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap Power button until the construction Android robot with a triangle appears on screen. Now hit Power again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect your phone to it while the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step might take some time. So, do not interrupt the process.
Step 6 - Now choose the files that need to be flashed or installed on your phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click 'PDA' button and select the file named 'CODE'.
- Tap 'Phone' button and click the file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Hit 'CSC' button and select file named 'CSC' in its name. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Click 'PIT' button and select the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
Step 8 - In ODIN, select the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. But, the Re-Partition option must be checked ONLY if you chose a .PIT file in the previous step.
Step 9 - Now click Start button in ODIN and firmware installation process will begin. It should take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 10 - Once the installation is complete, your phone will reboot. When the home screen appears, disconnect your phone from computer.
Your Samsung Galaxy S4 is now updated to Android 4.3 XXUEMJ5 official firmware. Go to Settings > About phone to verify.