The Google Play Edition Galaxy S4 received its Android 4.4 KitKat update just a week ago. Now the same firmware has been ported to the Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 (LTE) variant as it shares the same hardware specifications as the Google Play Edition.
Though the developers initially faced some hitches in porting the ROM, all the issues have been sorted out for implementing a successful KitKat port to Galaxy S4 LTE.
New Features of Android 4.4 KitKat Google Play Edition ROM
Here is the complete changelog for the new Android 4.4 KitKat Google Play Edition ROM:
- Based on latest Official Build 4.4 kitkat
- No ad, no malware, no spyware, bloatware
- build.prop tweaked
- Update script
- Tweaked for Best Performance
- All Google apps are removed. Download from Googleplay
- Dalvik + bionic library optimization
- 3G and 4G are working. Tested with I9505XXUEMKE_Modem
- Auto zipalign
- Sqlite script
- Sign & Zipalign, smali/baksmali version: 2.0, with api_level 19 (deodexed version v.1)
Head over to the official XDA developers source page (check the link below) to learn more about the ROM and its features. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
1. Download and install the correct USB drivers for Galaxy S4 I9505 on your computer.
2. Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options.
3. Back up all your important data before proceeding with firmware installation.
4. Ensure the phone is factory unlocked with ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP recovery installed.
5. Verify the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown during firmware installation.
6. The Android 4.4 KitKat Google Play Edition ROM works only on the Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505). Attempting to install this firmware on incompatible models may inadvertently brick the device. Verify the model number of the phone by navigating to Settings >> About Phone.
7. If the device is stuck at booting or is experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
8. Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working on it.
Android 4.4 KitKat Google Play Edition pre-rooted ROM for Galaxy S4 I9505
How to Update Galaxy S4 (LTE) I9505 to Android 4.4 KitKat Google Play Edition
Step-1: Download Android 4.4 KitKat Google Play Edition ROM for Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 to computer
Step-2: Connect the Galaxy S4 LTE to computer via USB cable. Without extracting, copy the downloaded firmware zip file to the root folder of the phone's SD card.
Step-3: Power off the phone and wait for 5 to 10 seconds until the device shuts down completely.
Step-4: Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together, until the Galaxy S4 logo appears on screen.
Step-5: Release all three buttons at the same time to boot into recovery mode. NOTE: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the desired option.
Step-6: Perform Wipe data/Factory reset (this will delete all apps and their settings and game progress) and choose Yes on next screen to confirm the action.
Step-7: Return to CWM recovery main menu and select Mounts and Storage > Format System and click Yes on next screen to confirm. Then perform Wipe Cache Partition. From the main menu of CWM recovery, go to Advanced and choose Wipe Dalvik Cache. Then hit Yes on next screen to confirm.
Step-8: Select Install Zip from sdcard and then click Choose zip from sdcard. Browse to the location of the Google Play Edition firmware file which you copied earlier to your phone's SD card. Choose Yes on next screen to confirm the firmware installation.
Step-9: Once the firmware is installed, select "+++++Go Back+++++" and reboot the phone by tapping reboot system now from the recovery menu. Your Galaxy S4 I9505 will restart and it may take about 5 minutes for first boot. So, do not interrupt the process.
Your Galaxy S4 (LTE) I9505 is now running on Android 4.4 KitKat via Google Play Edition ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.