Google's budget-friendly tablet Nexus 7 has become even more desirable, thanks to the fully-working AOKP ROM update ported to it. The official AOKP ROM based Jelly Bean update for the Nexus 7 tablet now includes: critical AOKP features such as ROM control menu with ROM customisation capability, enhanced theme manager and support for stock Android browser that can replace Google Chrome.
- The AOKP ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable for the Google Nexus 7 tablet only and will not work with any other device. You can confirm your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Device.
- Make sure that your Nexus 7 bootloader is unlocked by using the Nexus Root Toolkit installation guide posted here and step-by-step guide to unlock/root Nexus 7 posted here.
- Then, install the ClockworkMod recovery on your tablet.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup important personal data on the device including contents of the SD card (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, MMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while performing the AOKP ROM update.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims to device damage or support issues arising out of using this ROM update.
How to Install AOKP ROM Based Jelly Bean Update for Google Nexus 7
1. Download the latest version of the ROM from XDA Developers official thread (Download here).
2. Download the Google Apps package from here.
3. Without extracting, copy the downloaded zip files in step 1 and 2 to the SD card on the tablet.
4. Now, power off the tablet and then, boot into recovery through a button sequence. Press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together until the device boots into CWM recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid Backup of your current ROM, so that you can restore it from recovery if something goes wrong with the new ROM update. To perform a backup, choose Backup and Restore and on the next screen, tap Backup again. Return to main recovery menu, once backup is done. (If using TWRP recovery, hit Backup, then slide the blue button to the right to confirm backup)
6. Choose wipe data/factory reset, then tap Yes on next screen to confirm.
7. Choose install zip from sdcard, then hit choose zip from sdcard. Browse and select the ROM file on the SD card. Now, confirm installation by clicking Yes on the next screen. The ROM will begin installing.
8. Once ROM is installed, tap choose zip from sdcard again, then choose the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
9. After the Google apps is completely installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit reboot system now to reboot the tablet into AOKP ROM. The first boot is a little time consuming and may take up to 5 minutes.
NOTE: To restore your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as given in step 4), choose backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
AOKP ROM is now installed successfully on your Nexus 7.
[Source: The Android Soul]