An Android Open Source Project (AOSP) built Affinity ROM - Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) update - is now available for the Google Nexus 7, courtesy XDA senior member purian23. A similar Affinity ROM was recently ported to the international version of the Samsung Galaxy S3 (model number i9250).
This ROM reportedly features a fast, responsive, intuitive and professional User Interface (UI) and, in addition, it comes with a four-way Reboot menu, a customised power widget and exclusive wallpapers, among other features.
Users interested in installing the Affinity ROM may follow the instructions below. IBTimes UK advises its readers to proceed at their own risk and states it will not be held responsible for any consequences.
This ROM and these instructions are compatible only with the Nexus 7 tablet. Installation will wipe all data, settings and apps. IBTimes UK recommends users make a back-up of all data, including APN settings, before proceeding with installation. Ensure bootloader on the Nexus 7 is unlocked and ClockworkMod Recovery is installed.
How to Install Affinity ROM on Nexus 7:
- Download the Affinity ROM from the thread at XDA Developers' forum
- Download the Google Apps package from here
- Copy files (without extracting) to Nexus 7's SD card
- Boot the tablet into Recovery Mode (to do so, press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons)
- Make a Nandroid back-up of existing ROM (to do so, navigate to Backup and Restore > Backup)
- After backup, return to main Recovery menu (if using TWRP Recovery then choose Backup and confirm by sliding blue button to the right)
- Choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset and confirm (if using TWRP Recovery then choose Wipe > Factory Reset) and return to Recovery menu
- Choose install zip from SD card and then choose zip from SD card. Scroll to and select ROM. Confirm installation (if you are using TWRP Recovery, choose Install and then select ROM)
- The ROM will now begin installing
- After installing, re-select choose zip from SD card (for TWRP Recovery, select Install] and choose Google Apps package file
- Go back to main Recovery menu and reboot system to boot into Affinity ROM (in TWRP Recovery press Reboot system button)
Note: Users who wish to go back to the previous ROM will have to boot the tablet into Recovery as explained above. Choose Backup and Restore and restore previous ROM by selecting from the list; in TWRP Recovery, choose Restore and then choose Backup From List.
You have now installed the Affinity ROM on your Nexus 7.
[Information Courtesy: The Android Soul]