Budget Android One smartphones can now be updated to Android 6.0 Marshmallow using over-the-air (OTA) update zip files. It is ascertained that all first-generation Android One devices are eligible for receiving the new Marshmallow update codenamed Sprout4, which weighs 338MB.
Apart from the first-gen Android One devices, owners of Karbonn Sparkle V, Micromax Canvas A1 (AQ4501) and Spice Dream Uno are also eligible for installing the Sprout4 Marshmallow OTA update on their devices.
- Back up important data and settings on your smartphone before you proceed with installing the Marshmallow update
- Verify that your smartphone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown, during the firmware installation
- Your smartphone must be running stock firmware with stock recovery installed
Steps to manually install Android 6.0 Marshmallow OTA update on Android One Sprout4 devices
Step 1: Download the official Marshmallow OTA update using the links provided.
Step 2: Connect your smartphone to computer using the original USB cable.
Step 3: Copy and paste the OTA zip files to phone's storage and make a note of its location.
Step 4: Boot your smartphone into recovery mode or stock recovery: Disconnect the phone from computer, and then turn it off.
- Press and hold both the Volume and the Power buttons until the display turns on and enters bootloader mode.
- Hit the volume button to open the Recovery menu and then press the power button to select it. Your phone should now boot into recovery mode.
- At this moment, a dead Android with an exclamation mark should appear on the screen. Now press and hold Power button for three seconds and then hit the Volume up button once to progress into recovery mode.
Step 5: Return to the main recovery screen and choose 'install update from sdcard'.
Step 6: Then select the OTA zip file using the volume buttons for navigation and the Power button to select any file or open a folder. After you select the zip file, confirm its installation and the update should start installing on your device.
Step 7: Once the installation is done, return to main screen of recovery. Choose Reboot system now to restart the phone and boot into the newly installed Android 6.0 Marshmallow OTA update from Google.
[Source: The Android Soul]