If you have updated your unlocked Galaxy Note 4 with Android 5.1.1 OTA update (N910CXXU1COH4) that Samsung rolled out for users in Poland, and are currently looking for a root method, you might consider using the root package by senior XDA forum member, geiti94. But to use this root, ensure that your phone has Android 5.0.1 bootloader, otherwise you will encounter infinite bootloops. Also, keep in mind this root removes Knox security, installs SuperSU, Buxybox and 5.0.1 modem.
The member further warns users not to use this root package as it installs 5.0.1 modem for Note 4 N910C model. Also, before jumping directly to the root method, ensure that your phone meets the following requirements.
- Ensure that your Note 4 is having at least 60% battery.
- Enable USB debugging mode. Go to Settings>> About>> Build number and tap on it seven times to unlock the Developer options. Return to Settings>> Developer options and click USB debugging .
- Install appropriate Samsung USB drivers on your PC.
- Install TWRP recovery on the phone.
- Create a nandroid backup of all data of your phone.
How to root Galaxy Note 4 on Android 5.1.1
Step-1: Download the flashable root package and transfer it to the storage of the phone
Step-2: Download Android 5.0.1 bootloader package. Extract it using any extracting tool and you should find a folder containing Odin flashable tar package and Odin binaries
Step-3: Put your Note 4 into Download mode
- For this, first switch it off
- Press the Volume Down, power and Home buttons together until a warning screen appears with an Android logo
- Press Volume Up button to confirm entering into Download mode
Step-4: Connect your phone with the PC via USB cable
Step-5: Double click Odin3 v3.09.exe file to open it
Step-6: Flash the bootloader. Click BL button in Odin and load the bootloader file and click Start
Step-7: When the installation is completed, reboot the phone into recovery mode
- Switch off the phone
- Press and hold Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the Samsung logo appears, then release the Power button while holding the other two until the recovery menu appears
Step-8: In recovery mode, select Install and locate the root package which you have saved in the phone's storage
Step-9: Upon installation of the root package, reboot the phone
Hit the development thread over XDA if you come across any issue with the root.