If you are looking for a custom release that improves the performance and reliability of Galaxy S3, while having the best customised features over stock Android update, CrDroid ROM based on CyanogenMod would be the perfect solution for this. Check the following list to know more about the basic features of CrDroid ROM.
CrDRoid ROM features
- Volume panel timeout
- Slim recents panel
- Clear recents location
- Heads up customization
- Quick access button on expanded status bar
- Swipe behavior
- Touch outside behavior
- Time out
- Do not disturb
- SlimRoms custom lockscreen shortcuts
- Navbar on/off
- Hardware keys on/off (in devices supported)
- Power menu in navring targets
- SlimPie controls with all working
- Sound panel option on power menu
- Superuser indicator (notification, statusbar icon or no indicator)
- Force expanded notifications on expanded statusbar
- Power menu and notifications tiles
- Four tiles per row
- Vibrate on tiles touch
- Disable quick settings on secure lockscreen
- Kill app back button configurable timeout
- Ambient display as active display from OmniRom
- IME advanced settings
- SELinux switch
A new build of CrDroid ROM featuring Android 5.1.1 Lollipop is available for the international model of Galaxy S3. If you want to customise CrDroid ROM on your Galaxy S3, here is a manual installation guide to help you with that.
Points to remember
- Before following the installation guide, create backup of all important data of the phone using custom recovery.
- Enable USB debugging on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now enable USB Debugging Mode by navigating to Settings>> Developer Options.]
- The Galaxy S3 should have above 80% battery charge to avoid power off during the process which could damage the device.
- The phone should be rooted with the latest recovery system installed on it. Also, it should have an unlocked bootloader.
- As the CrDroid ROM is in development stage, bugs are highly likely.
- The CrDroid ROM works with Galaxy S3 I9300. Flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the device.
- After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache for a few times before rebooting the device.
- Once the ROM is installed, users are advised to give 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up for the first time for better user experience.
How to update Galaxy S3 to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop with CrDroid ROM
Step-1: Without extracting, copy the downloaded file your phone's internal storage and remember the location. Note that the files should be in the SD card root, not inside any folder.
Step-2: Boot the phone into recovery mode. Switch off the phone. Then press Power + Home + Volume Up buttons together until the recovery logo appears on the screen.
Step-3: In the recovery mode, create a backup of the current ROM. Go to the main recovery menu and select Backup and Restore then select Backup again.
Step-4: In recovery mode, perform a full data wipe by selecting wipe data/ factory reset.
Step-5: Perform a cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition.
Step-6: Perform a wipe of dalvik cache to avoid boot loop or any other errors. From recovery, go to advanced then select wipe dalvik cache.
Step-7: Return to the main recovery menu and select install zip from sdcard then choose zip from sdcard. Using the Volume keys navigate to CrDroid ROM, which was earlier copied to the phone's SD card. Select it using the Power button and confirm installation on the next screen.
Step-8: Repeat the similar process to install Gapps
Step-9: When the installation process is completed, return to the recovery screen and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now.
You can now check the new Android version of Galaxy S3 from Settings>> About phone. Head over to XDA thread to know more about the CrDroid ROM.