The CyanogenMod team has rolled out official nightly builds based on the latest Android Lollipop version 5.0.2 for the 31 Android powered devices, with support for more devices to be followed soon.
The CyanogenMod 12 compatible devices bring full hardware support such as calls, Wi-Fi, GPS, camera and other features. However, depending on the devices, some hardware features might not be functioning properly at this time, for e.g. IR support.
But a few important features from the CyanogenMod 11 and smaller tweaks are missing in this release, which will be included in the new Material UI in future updates.
Note that after installing the CyanogenMod 12 nightly, you cannot downgrade to CM11 without wiping. Besides, you need an Android Lollipop compatible recovery.
If you own an European version of LG G2 (D802) and wish to experience the latest CyanogenMod 12 build that features Android 5.0.2, head over to the following installation guide, courtesy of Team Android.
- Create a backup of all the important data of the phone using any custom recovery before following the installation method.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Go to Settings>> About phone. Scroll down to Build number, Tap seven times on the build number. The Developer options under Settings should appear now. You can now enable USB debugging mode.]
- The LG G2 should have above 80% of battery charge to avoid unusual shut down due to lack of battery, which could damage the device.
- The bootloader of the phone should be unlocked.
- The phone should be rooted and have latest version of recovery installed.
- The official CyanogenMod 12 nightly is compatible only with LG G2 D802. Flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Verify the model number of the smartphone by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number and install firmware according to the mode number of the device.
- As the CyanogenMod 12 build are in the nightly stage, bugs are expected with the installation.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to install Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on LG G2 D802 with CyanogenMod 12 official nightly
Step-1: Connect LG G2 to the computer using USB cable. Without extracting move the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone. Ensure that the files are in the SD card root, not in any folder
Step-2: Unplug the USB cable from the phone and switch it off
Step-3: Boot the phone into recovery mode. For this switch on the phone while pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together for a few seconds. Leave the buttons when you see the LG logo on the screen. Again press Volume Down and Power buttons and keep repeating until the recovery menu appears
Step-4: In recovery mode, perform data wipe by selecting wipe data/ factory reset. Use the Power button to select while in Recovery Mode
Step-5: Perform cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition
Step-6: Also do a wipe of dalvik cache to avoid boot loops and other errors. From CWM recovery, go to advanced then select wipe dalvik cache
Step-7: Go to main recovery menu and select install zip from sdcard >> choose zip from sdcard. Using the Volume keys browse to the location where the CyanogenMod 12 nightly is saved. Select it using the Power button and confirm installation on the next screen
Step-8: Follow the similar procedure to flash Gapps file on the phone
Step-9: Once the installation is completed, reboot phone by selecting reboot system now from the recovery menu. It will take about five minutes to boot the phone for the first time after the CM12 ROM is installed. Wait until the phone reboots successfully
You can now enjoy the official CyanogenMod 12 nightly with Android 5.0.2 update on your LG G2.