Custom firmware bearing a higher Android Lollipop version for the Xperia Z3 is now available. The development team for the Euphoria OS has updated the ROM to Android 5.1.1 by merging Android 5.1.1_r3—Android 5.1.1_r4 in the latest release. Following are the changes and tweaks added to the build.
- Merged android-5.1.1_r3 - android-5.1.1_r4
- Merged in translations from CM
- Show multi-line notification if there's more than one missed call
- DeskCLock - Expose background colours for theming
- Settings: add Bluetooth tethering option to BT overflow menu
- Settings: update dashboard icons
- Simple option to use volume keys to control media volume anytime (removed old options)
- Use WindowManager to set custom DPI (fixes broken legacy apps)
- Double tap to sleep anywhere on the lock screen
- Option to disable torch when the screen turns off
- QS panel Task Manager
- Fix setting up linked notification stream on boot
- Fix adding headsup view after boot
- Prompt for SIM PIN if lockscreen is disabled
Head over here to get a more detailed changelog added in due course of development.
Like other custom firmware, you need to unlock the bootloader and have root access to flash the ROM. Here is a step-by-step guide for manual installation.
- ROM OS version: 5.1.x Lollipop
- ROM kernel: Linux 3.4.x
- Firmware required: Unlocked bootloader
- Status: Stable
- Built date: 1 May
- Before following the installation guide, create a backup of all important data of the phone using custom recovery.
- Enable USB debugging on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on build number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings>> Developer Options.]
- The Z3 should have above 80% battery charge to avoid power off during the process, which could damage the device.
- The phone should be rooted with the latest recovery system installed on it. Also, it should have an unlocked bootloader.
- As the Euphoria OS ROM is in its development stage, all features might not function properly.
- The ROM works with Xperia Z3 only. Verify the model number of your device, as flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device.
- After flashing the ROM, if the device gets stuck on booting animation or experiences boot loop, then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache a few times before rebooting the device.
- Once the ROM is installed, users are advised to give 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up for the first time for better user experience.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to install Euphoria OS featuring Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on Xperia Z3
Step-1: Connect your Z3 to the computer using USB cable and then move both the downloaded files to the internal storage of the phone. But do not extract the files
Step-2: Disconnect the phone from the PC and switch it off
Step-3: Place the phone into recovery mode.
Note: The following guide uses TWRP recovery.
Power on the phone and when the phone's LED notification light turns pink or, any other colour, start pressing the volume up or, volume down button for a couple of times to enter recovery mode
Step-4: In recovery mode, create a backup of the existing ROM. From recovery menu select backup and swipe on the swipe to backup option
Step-5: Perform a clean install. Perform data wipe and format system
Step-6: Now flash the Euphoria OS ROM. From recovery select install and then locate the folder where you have saved the ROM. Select it and swipe on the swipe to confirm flash option
Step-7: Follow a similar procedure to install Google apps
Step-8: Reboot the phone upon the completion of the installation
Note: Do not restore system data using Titanium backup.
Check the software version details from settings; it should be Android 5.1.1. Hit the thread over the XDA forum to know more about the Euphoria OS ROM.