Owners of HTC Desire can now rejoice with a more stable and up-to-date version of Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS), thanks to official AOKP Milestone 6 ROM released by XDA Developers member pratheek1992.
The new Milestone 6 based AOKP ROM ports Samsung Galaxy S3's TouchWiz launcher, besides incorporating a number of useful custom features such as ROM control, AOKP wallpapers, USB tether toggle, clock widgets, boot animation and removal of Facebook sync. The developers have reportedly enhanced the ROM performance (making it more stable, lighter and faster) by removing bloatware and adding hardware acceleration libraries to it.
Key Points to Note
- The ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable only for the HTC Desire model and will not work with any other device. Attempting to install this ROM on incompatible devices may lead to irreparable hardware damage to the unit. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the Android 4.0.4 ICS update.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the AOKP Milestone 6 firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- HTC Desire with stock HBOOT/bootloader unlocked and ClockworkMod recovery installed
- Download AOKP Milestone 6 (version 2) custom ROM for HTC Desire
- Download Google Apps for Ice Cream Sandwich
- Ensure that your device's battery is fully charged or has at least 70 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown during the ROM installation procedure.
How to Install AOKP Milestone 6 Based Android 4.0.4 ICS Update on HTC Desire
Step 1: Without extracting, copy the AOKP ROM and Google Apps package to your phone's internal SD card.
Step 2: Power off the phone.
Step 3: Now, boot into ClockworkMod Recovery through a button sequence. Press and hold down the Volume Down and Power button until the device enters the bootloader/HBOOT mode. Press the Volume keys to navigate and highlight the Recovery option, and then press the Power button to select it.
Step 4: Do a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. To do so, choose Backup and Restore and on the next screen, hit Backup again.
Step 5: Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
Step 6: Tap Wipe data/Factory reset and click Yes to confirm action on the next screen.
Step 7: Choose Install ZIP from SD card and click Choose ZIP from SD card. Browse and select the ROM file on the SD card and then click Yes to confirm its installation.
Step 8: Repeat step 7 to install the Google Apps package similarly.
Step 9: Finally, click Reboot system now to reboot your phone into the new ROM.
Your HTC Desire should now be running AOKP Milestone 6 based Android 4.0.4 ICS update.
[Source: Android Authority]