HTC has confirmed the One XL will receive an update to the Jelly Bean operating software but did not mention a particular release date. There is now, however, an unofficial update - to Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) - thanks to the CyanogenMod team.
HTC One XL users looking to update with this CM10 based on Android 4.1.2, may follow the tutorial below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be responsible for any damage to the device during installation. We also warn readers this guide is for the HTC One XL only.
- Download USB drivers and enable USB debugging mode
- Ensure device is rooted and ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery is installed
- Ensure bootloader of phone is unlocked
- Ensure battery has at least 80 percent charge.
- Ensure back-up of important data before proceeding any further
Steps to Install CM10 Android 4.1.2 on HTC One XL
- Download CM10 Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) ROM to computer
- Download Google Apps package
- Connect device to computer with USB cable and copy downloaded files to SD card on phone (do not extract any files)
- Disconnect phone from computer and switch it off
- Re-start phone in Recovery mode (to do so, press Volume Down and Power to boot into HBOOT menu and then select Recovery using Power button)
- Perform a Nandroid back-up of existing ROM by selecting Backup and Restore > Backup. Return to Recovery once back-up is completed
- Perform a full data wipe (to do so, select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and tap Yes to confirm action)
- Use Volume keys to scroll to Install Zip from SD Card and press Power to select
- Press Power again, to select Choose Zip from SD Card and then locate copied CM10 ROM file on SD card. Select using Power and confirm installation
- After installation, repeat procedure to install Google apps package
- After installation, return to main Recovery menu and select Reboot System Now (the device will take a few minutes to boot for the first time)
- Note: To return to earlier ROM, boot into Recovery, select Backup and Restore and restore previous ROM by selecting version from list
Congratulations... The CM10 custom firmware, based on Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) is now installed and on the HTC One XL. This can be verified by browsing to Settings > About Phone.
[Source: Android Jinn]