We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
HTC One S users can now relish the all-in-one PAC-Man ROM, which is a combination of Paranoid Android, Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) and CynogenMod (CM). The hybrid ROM takes the best custom features of Paranoid and blends it with the smoothness of AOKP and CM to deliver the ultimate Android experience to the user.
PAC-Man ROM Features
Here is the complete list of features supported by Android 4.2.2 PAC-Man ROM:
- Hybrid Framework
- AOKP MR1
- AOSPA 3.00
- Per App DPI
- Per App Color
- Pie Controls
- Open Source Camera HAL
- Hardware Key Control
- Any Widget on lockscreen
- CM Profiles
- Lock Screen Shortcuts
- Lock Screen ringtarget
- Fresh compiled CM10.1 kernel
- Init.d Support
For more feature details, head over to the Developer Source Page.
Key Points to Note
- PAC-Man ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the HTC One S model only. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the phone's battery has at least 80 percent charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Back up important data, apps and settings on the phone to avoid data loss while installing the ROM.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM recovery installed on it. Download and install Root Checker app from Google Play Store to verify if the device is actually rooted or not.
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, then perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for at least five minutes before working on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if the device is damaged during or after ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update on HTC One S via PAC-Man ROM
1. Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with USB cable.
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
3. Once the file transfer completes, just disconnect the USB cable from computer and then Power off the phone.
4. Boot the device into ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. Choose Yes to confirm entry into CWM recovery and then proceed to next step.
5. After the device enters main CWM Recovery mode screen, choose Backup and Restore and then hit Backup to confirm. Once the Backup is complete proceed to next step.
6. Choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset from main recovery menu and click Yes to confirm. Wait until the date wipe process completes.
7. Then Select Install Zip from SD card and click Choose Zip from SD card.
8. Now, browse and select the PAC-Man ROM zip file that you copied earlier to the phone's SD card in Step 2. The ROM installation begins. Click Yes on next screen to confirm the installation.
9. Once the ROM installation completes, repeat step 8 to install Google Apps as well.
10. Wait until Google Apps is also installed and then return to the main Recovery screen. Now, hit Reboot System Now to reboot the phone automatically into the newly installed ROM. The first boot may take some time. So, leave it alone.
NOTE: If the phone fails the first boot even after ten minutes following the ROM installation, then do the following steps:
- Power off the device completely and remove its battery.
- Reinsert the battery after five seconds and then repeat the entire tutorial from step 4. The ROM should install just fine on the second attempt.
HTC One S is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via PAC-Man ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Best Android Stuffs]