HTC One X+ users are in for a special treat as the flagship phone receives the latest Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update via Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) custom ROM. The handset is still awaiting its official firmware for Android 4.2.1, while there is no word from HTC about its estimated time for release. One X+ users who cannot wait for the official release can follow our step-by-step guide to manually install the latest Jelly Bean custom firmware on their phone.
Key Points to Note
- AOKP ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the HTC One X+ model only. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone by using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Make sure correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download HTC One X+ USB drivers).
- Verify the device has at least 80 per cent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings >Applications> Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier). If the phone is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM recovery installed on it. Download and install Root Checker app from Google Play Store to verify if the device is actually rooted or not.
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencingboot loop issues, then perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for at least five minutes before working on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Update HTC One X+ to Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean via AOKP ROM
2. Connect the phone to computer with original USB cable and copy the zip files (without extracting) to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
3. Boot the device into Bootloader mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Home button together and then simultaneously tap the Power button. If the phone accidentally enters normal mode, just repeat the step once again.
4. Once the device enters Bootloader mode, choose Recovery option to place the device in Recovery mode or CWM recovery.
5. In CWM recovery, perform Wipe Data/Factory Reset and then choose Wipe Cache Partition.
6. Click Install Zip from SD card and then select Choose Zip from SD card. Navigate to the AOKP ROM zip file, which you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and select it. Wait until the ROM installation completes, then click Go Back and tap Reboot System Now. NOTE: Repeat the Step 6 for installing Google Apps as well.
7. Wait until the phone boots into normal mode. The first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
8. Troubleshooting: If the device is stuck at booting animation or experiencing boot loop issues at the welcome screen, just long press the Power button and repeat the instructions from start.
HTC One X+ is now successfully running on the latest Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update via AOKP ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Android Advices]