West Indies
West Indies pulled out of India tour in October 2014.Reuters

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has issued a warning to players taking contractual matters into their own hands and claims such "unacceptable" behaviour can cause irrevocable damage to the sport.

Earlier in October, West Indies pulled out of the India tour after the fourth ODI, when an internal dispute between the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and the players forced the Caribbean side to abruptly end the tour.

The Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) demanded compensation of $42m (£26.2m) from West Indies for pulling out of the tour last month. Windies legend Brain Lara remains hopeful that West Indies side can survive the lawsuit filed by India.

The statement released by the ICC said: "The ICC and all of its Member Boards on Sunday noted with deep disappointment the recent decision of the West Indies players to abandon an international tour without fulfilling the contractually agreed playing obligations between the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).

"Putting aside the legitimacy or otherwise of any grievances of parties involved [and which are now the subject of a domestic Task Force probe], the ICC and all Member Boards noted that players abandoning tours have the potential to cause irrevocable damage to the sport in the jurisdiction of the relevant Member Board concerned, as well as enormous financial damage, which might adversely affect the financial viability of the sport itself.

"With that in mind, and in a show of solidarity, all Member Boards collectively expressed the view that they consider such player action to be extremely disruptive, damaging and unacceptable."

Meanwhile, ICC chairman N Srinivasan claims West Indies' decision to pull out of its India tour has damaged cricket's integrity and reputation.

"It was undoubtedly a sad chapter in our sport. It damaged cricket's integrity and reputation, as well as affecting confidence within the cricket community, especially that of the fans. The ICC Board was determined to address this situation and ensure such incidents never happen again," Srinivasan told the ICC's official website.

"The ICC is working with the concerned Members towards finding a positive resolution and is confident that there will be constructive outcomes for our game."