CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) ROM is the most popular Jelly Bean custom ROM available in the Android market today, owing to its high customisation capability and seamless performance. With due credit to XDA Developers member TripNRaveR and his TripNDroid mobile-engineering team, the international variant of HTC One X gets its release of Android 4.2 Jelly Bean via CM10 custom ROM.
The CM10 ROM brings a few intriguing features in its interface design including a hardware menu key that is mapped to the Recent Tasks button, and a true Jelly Bean kernel with support for all HBOOT versions of HTC One X smartphone.
Key Points to Note
- The CM10 ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the international variant of HTC One X model only. It will not be compatible with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important data and settings (such as bookmarks, contacts, SMS, MMS, photos, videos, APNs and other internet settings) on their phone to avoid risk of data loss while flashing the Android 4.2 based CM10 Jelly Bean ROM on it.
- Make sure that your phone is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery installed on it.
- Verify that you have the phone's original USB cable handy and a compatible Windows PC for connecting your phone during ROM installation.
- Ensure that USB debugging mode is enabled on your handset by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development.
- Disable all security software including antivirus, system firewall and anti-malware suites. Also disable HTC Sync and other software that are related to your phone, as they might interrupt the ROM installation procedure and cause a fatal error that could brick your device.
- Verify that your phone's battery has optimum charge (at least 75 percent) to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean firmware.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of flashing the CM10 Jelly Bean ROM. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Download Fastboot package
How to Install Android 4.2 Jelly Bean on HTC One X with CyanogenMod 10 ROM
1. Copy the downloaded CM10 ROM Zip file to your phone's internal SD card.
2. Extract the Fastboot.zip file to your computer's desktop. You will now get a folder named Fastboot.
3. Extract the boot.img file from the CM10 Zip file and copy it into the Fastboot folder.
4. Power off your phone and boot into Fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons until the diplay turns on and your device boots into Bootloader Mode.
5. In Bootloader Mode, highlight Fastboot Mode using Volume keys and select it by tapping the Power button.
6. Connect your phone to the computer with the original USB cable.
7. Open a command prompt on your computer and browse to the Fastboot folder.
8. In command prompt, type: fastboot devices to check if your device is successfully connected to your computer. Your phone's serial number should be displayed on the screen.
9. Flash the boot.img by entering the following in the command prompt:
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
10. Select Bootloader option on your phone to return to the main Bootloader menu.
11. In Bootloader Mode, navigate to Recovery option using the Volume keys and select it by using the Power button to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
12. Choose Wipe data/factory reset and click Yes to confirm.
13. Choose Install ZIP from SD card and click Choose ZIP from SD card. Finally select the CM10 ROM zip file and click Yes to confirm.
14. Hit Go back and select Reboot system now.
You have now successfully flashed the unofficial Android 4.2 Jelly Bean update with CyanogenMod 10 ROM on your HTC One X.
[Source: Android Authority]