Nexus S GT I9020 was released in 2010, as a result of Google's collaboration with Samsung. Nexus S I9020 is among the few ageing devices that have been deprived of software upgrade services for a while (ever since the release of Android 4.2 Jelly Bean update from Samsung).
Along with the release of Android 4.2.1 update, Samsung announced that the Nexus S will no longer receive further official updates after Android 4.1.2. Although the news left a bitter taste among Nexus S users, the developer community has stepped forward to their rescue by delivering the latest Android releases for capable devices. Nexus S undoubtedly qualifies for the latest Jelly Bean upgrade (Android 4.2.1), owing to its powerful 1GHz Cortex-A8 processor and 512MB RAM onboard.
Some of the notable Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean features offered by Slim Bean ROM include multi-user support, gesture typing, new quick settings option, lock-screen widget, new camera app, photo sphere, improved Google Now, new daydream feature and miracast display.
NOTE: The Slim Bean Beta 1 ROM based on Android 4.2.1 is still under development and may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features. These issues will be fixed in the upcoming updates, as part of the development progress. Despite the flaws, the Slim Bean ROM is expected to offer a faster performance in a tiny package.
Slim Bean Android 4.2.1 Slim Bean Beta 1 Features
- Dotted Battery Mod and colour picker
- Battery bar mod
- Notification Background customisation
- Notification row transparency
- Quick Settings for
- Network mode tile
- Profile Tile
- Dismiss on toggle
- Updated APN + SPN
- Wi-Fi name in notification drawer
- Power widget
- Device Parts
- Performance Settings (need to tap build number a few times)
- Cursor control using volume keys
- Disable full screen keyboard
- Alternate app chooser
- Clock styles and color chooser
- ADB over Wi-Fi
- Camera power shutter mod
- Wi-Fi country specific settings
- Notification IME selectior
- SMS quick reply & mark as read from notification
- All MMS features
- All Contacts features
Key Points to Note
- Slim Bean ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Nexus S GT I9020 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while flashing the Slim Bean ROM on the Nexus S device.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for Nexus S GT I9020 on your computer (download USB drivers)
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on your phone by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development
- Ensure that your device is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed on it
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update on the Nexus S GT I9020. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Download Android 4.2.1 Slim Bean Beta 1 Jelly Bean ROM for Nexus S GT I9020
Download Google Apps (GApps)
How to Install Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on Nexus S GT I9020 with Slim Bean ROM
1. Connect your Nexus S phone to computer with Original USB cable.
2. Copy the downloaded zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card. Important: Do not extract any files.
3. Disconnect USB cable from the computer and switch off your phone.
4. Boot into CWM recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on screen. Then, release all three buttons for half a second and hold them again. The device now boots into ClockworkMod recovery screen. NOTE: Use Volume keys to browse through options and Power key to select an option in recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of your current ROM so that you can restore it later if something goes wrong with the new ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore, and hit Backup on next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Perform a full data wipe process. To do so, click wipe data/factory reset, then choose Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes.
7. Choose Install zip from sdcard and then click Choose zip from sdcard. Now, locate the Slim Bean ROM zip file that you copied to your phone earlier in Step 2, and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm ROM installation by choosing Yes on next screen and the installation will begin.
8. Once the ROM is installed, repeat step 7 but choose the GApps file instead of ROM zip to install the Google apps package.
9. When Google Apps is installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into Android 4.2.1 Slim Bean custom ROM. The first boot may take about 5 minutes. So, leave it alone.
10. Restoring Previous ROM: To restore your previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean firmware based Slim Bean Beta 1 ROM is now installed on your Nexus S GT I9020.
[Source: Android Jinn]