Mario Balotelli
Balotelli's future at Anfield remains in doubt.Getty

Inter Milan manager Roberto Mancini has ended talk of the club bidding for Liverpool misfit Mario Balotelli, telling the press he hasn't spoken to the striker in two years.

Mancini brought the Italian international to English football in 2010 and while the two enjoyed a tempestuous relationship during their time at Manchester City, he insists there is no ill-feeling between the two.

Balotelli's struggles in English football have continued this season, in which he is still to score a Premier League goal for Liverpool. While the club are likely to assess their options ahead of the January transfer window, Mancini insists the Nerazzurri are not considering bringing the mercurial striker back to the San Siro.

"No, we last spoke about two years ago," Balotelli told the press when asked whether he had been in contact with the Liverpool striker.

"I am his fan, I care for him and my hope is to see him happy, leaving aside all the rest that doesn't count."

Balotelli made his return from a thigh injury in Sunday's game against Manchester United but while he was presented with a host of chances he was unable to prevent his side succumbing to a 3-0 defeat.

Brendan Rodgers opted to start at Old Trafford without a recognised centre forward having seen his three main options - Balotelli, Rickie Lambert and Fabio Borini - score just one Premier League goal between them this season in the absence of Daniel Sturridge, contributing just four in all competitions.

Given Daniel Sturridge's persistent injuries this season, Rodgers has been urged by former stalwart Jamie Carragher to look to Wilfried Bony to help solve the club's crisis up front.

"Liverpool signed Balotelli for £16m. How much would Bony cost? £20m to 25m," Carragher said.

"He's certainly a player that Liverpool should be looking at. I wish Liverpool got him this summer and I hope they're looking at him in the future."