James Franco and Seth Rogan
James Franco and Seth Rogan appear in The InterviewGetty

Sony Pictures hackers have caused James Franco and Seth Rogan film The Interview to cancel its New York premier after issuing a 9/11-style threat.

The hackers, who illegally accessed Sony's computer system last month, warned Americans to "Remember the 11th of September 2001" and to stay away from cinemas showing the Sony Pictures movie about about the assassination of North Korean President Kim Jong-Un.

Sony did not pull the movie from screens but said it would not object if they decided to cancel showings, Reuters reported.

New York's Landmark Sunshine Cinema has confirmed that Thursday's premiere would not go ahead following the sinister email.

An official at the US Department of Homeland Security said investigations had found nothing to substantiate the threat.

"At this time there is no credible intelligence to indicate an active plot against movie theatres within the United States," an official said.

However, the New York and Los Angeles police departments are taking the threat seriously.

The cancellation follows the leaking of Franco and Rogan's salaries for working on the film.

Meanwhile, the North Korean government denounced the film as "undisguised sponsoring of terrorism" and an "act of war".

9/11 threat

Warning

We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places "The Interview" be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to.

Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made.

The world will be full of fear.

Remember the 11th of September 2001.

We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time.

(If your house is nearby, you'd better leave.)

Whatever comes in the coming days is called by the greed of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

All the world will denounce the SONY.