The Cupertino tech major has rolled out another software update, iOS 6.1, adding LTE capabilities to 36 additional iPhone carriers and 23 additional iPad carriers across the world. This update, as Apple claims, will allow users to experience fast wireless performance to browse, download and stream content at fast speeds. In addition to that, iOS 6.1 includes the ability to use Siri to purchase movie tickets in the US through Fandango. The iTunes Match subscribers can download individual songs to their iOS devices from iCloud.
iOS 6 .1 is available as free software update for iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad (third and fourth generation), iPad mini, iPad 2 and iPod Touch (fourth and fifth generation).
The good news is those users who have already updated their devices with the latest iOS 6.1, may follow the tutorial below to jailbreak the same using the latest version of RedSn0w 0.9.15b3.
It should be noted that this is a tethered jailbreak and is compatible with pre-A5 devices including the iPhone 4, the iPhone 3GS and the fourth generation iPod Touch. Unfortunately, there is no jailbreak available for devices such as iPhone 5, fifth generation iPod Touch and the iPad.
IBtimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are advised to create back-up for all the important data. The iPhone/iPod Touch should carry more than 70 per cent of charge.
iPod Touch 4G
Steps to jailbreak iOS 6.1 tethered on iPhone 4/iPhone 3SG/iPod Touch 4G using RedSnow v0.9.15b3
1) Upgrade the iDevice to iOS 6.1 [iOS 6.1 download link]
2) Download the iOS 6.0 firmware for the device. The reason for downloading this firmware is, RedSn0w 0.9.15b3 does not support iOS 6.1 [The iPhone Dev team is expected to update this after the release of untethered jailbreak]
4) Now connect the device to the computer. Then place the device into DFU mode
5) Open RedSn0w and click Extras then select IPSW and then select the iOS 6.0 IPSW for the device as mentioned in step-2. Click OK and RedSn0w should successfully identify the iOS 6.0 firmware [In case RedSn0w does not identify the firmware, which means a wrong firmware is being used or a wrong version of RedSn0w is being downloaded.]
6) Click back then click the Jailbreak button. Ensure install Cydia is selected and then click Next. The jailbreak process will start and eventually the device will come alive
7) Once the device is back to the Lock screen, place it into DFU mode once again
8) Click back in RedSn0w and again use Select IPSW to identify the 6.0 firmware (like step-5). After the action is completed, click Just boot at the top of the Extras menu. This will perform a tethered boot on the device. As the device boots up, a pwnapple logo will appear which replaces the tradition Apple logo
9) Once the device is back at the Lock screen, swipe to the second Home screen page. The Cydia app icon should be seen now. Open Cydia, select Developer and start using it
Note: Since this is a tethered jailbreak therefore, every time users need to reboot, they should perform the tethered boot portion of the aforementioned tutorial to get back to the Home screen.
Provided all the above mentioned steps are followed strictly, the iPhone 4/iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch 4G should be now jailbroken tethered on the iOS 6.1 firmware.