Police have launched an investigation at Ridge View School after one of its pupils choked to death on a meatball while eating her school dinner.
Jane and Anthony Pearce have been left devastated after their daughter Isabel died suddenly at Ridge View special needs school during her lunch break.
They said the 13-year-old suffered from Sotos Syndrome, a rare form of autism, but it does not affect how she swallows.
Mrs Pearce, 56, from Ide Hill, Tonbridge, told the Kent and Sussex Courier: "It is unbelievable that it could happen.
"You send your child off to school - to somewhere you imagine is safe.
"She was in a good place. She was not at all compromised in any way - to any degree - that could have caused this to happen."
"I still expect to her to come in - I suppose it is something in my brain.
"On the day it happened she was not ill - she just went to school and never came home," he added.
Kent Police are now investigating the circumstances surrounding her death.
River View headteacher, Jacqui Tovey said: "Isabel's death has been a tremendous shock to us all and our thoughts are with Isabel's family.
"The whole school community has been devastated by her death and she will be greatly missed.
"We understand it is normal procedure for the police to be involved in a review of an unexpected death and the school is co-operating fully with the police over this."